Talk

Advanced search

Just found our I'm pregnant and new job starts!!!

(11 Posts)
Snook99 Fri 07-Mar-14 08:56:00

I have just found out I'm pregnant, and went for an interview yesterday and they want me to have a trail today and start next week as a trainee dental nurse. Should I/ do I have to tell them? Feel really bad as I thought my previous job was settled genes trying for a baby sad x

JeanSeberg Fri 07-Mar-14 09:00:45

Congratulations! Start the job and tell them about the pregnancy at the appropriate time, I'm assuming you're just a few weeks at the moment and wouldn't plan on telling an employer until you are 12+ weeks.

Wineandchoccy Fri 07-Mar-14 09:01:38

I was a dental nurse and the only advice I can give you is you will be stood on your feet a lot, when your bump gets big you may struggle to assist the dentist at chair side.

Will you be starting the NVQ or national college course? Can you fit this in while being pregnant?

Money? Would you get maternity pay?

Writerwannabe83 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:01:56

I think you need to tell them as there may be implications with you being involved in taking x-rays. I used to be a Dental Nurse and whilst I worked there were 2 pregnant women and I'm sure there were some things they were excluded from doing. It was a long time ago though so can't remember the exacts and things may have changed now. But in terms of x-rays, you definitely need to tell them.

Congratulations on getting the job - I loved doing it smile

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 07-Mar-14 09:04:30

As a dentist I would need to know my nurse is pregnant because of working with X-rays and potentially hazardous materials.

Snook99 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:06:10

Thank you, yes I will be doing my NVQ how ever much we have wanted this after MC in December this really couldn't have come at a wrong time, I'm worries that they aren't going to want me now and because I'm not a school leaver it's going to be even harder to find a career that I can train in and progress sad I didn't think anyone was aloud in the room during an xray, only the patient x

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 07-Mar-14 09:10:36

But you will be mixing amalgam, Changing matrix bands, Dealing with sharps, Emptying clinical waste. All these things require care when you are training. They are second nature once you have done the job for a while.

Snook99 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:13:15

Ok thank you think I need to call them, and let them know as I'm meant to be in for a trail today thank you for all your advise x

livingzuid Fri 07-Mar-14 09:22:24

They can't discriminate against you because you are pregnant ie if they have made you an offer they can't withdraw it because of your pregnancy. Hopefully they will be sensible employers and follow the law on this one smile

ruth1104 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:23:47

Hello, I'm pretty sure its illegal for them not to give you the job because you're pregnant, but follow pp advice about safety for pregnant women. However you won't get maternity pay because you're pregnant when you start the job; you will get statuatory maternity allowance for 9months. Good luck and congratulations!!

Snook99 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:36:05

Yes I thought that would be the case with maternity pay, but I don't really mind that, well I hope they're ok, just feel bad for them as it messes all the training up x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now