Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What does this mean in terms of engagement?

(7 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Wed 05-Mar-14 12:50:46

I have just got home from seeing my midwife and in the 'Position and Engagement' section of my notes she has written "Cephalic and Brim."

What does Brim mean?

Last time I saw her she wrote "Cephalic and 2/5" which I understood.

I was expecting a similar thing today and expected her to have recorde another fraction so I am a bit confused....

mostlyconfused Wed 05-Mar-14 13:02:49

I'm not 100% sure but I think it means the head isn't engaged yet? That the head is just at the brim of the pelvis?

Writerwannabe83 Wed 05-Mar-14 13:05:31

Oh - that' disappointing then as he was 2/5 last time. I didn't realise they moved out of their positions once they started engaging.

She said she is surprised I hadn't given birth already and is convinced baby will be here within the next 10 days.

It's a bit confusing isn't it.... smile

Mummyk1982 Wed 05-Mar-14 15:02:44

Babies engage and disengage I'm afraid!

Writerwannabe83 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:42:22

Well that's pretty crappy smile

I had a growth scan 5 days ago and the sonographer said she wasn't able to measure his head circumference because he was too far down in my pelvis.

I hope he goes back down again soon!!!

greentshirt Wed 05-Mar-14 23:14:48

Does it matter if the head is engaged if you are having an elcs? Surely you'd rather he wasn't so you don't end up in labour and having an emcs instead?!

Writerwannabe83 Thu 06-Mar-14 08:29:01

I want things to start off naturally if it means baby arrives quicker - I'm really struggling now!!

CS is currently booked in for 39 weeks exactly as hospital policy is that it can't be booked any earlier unless there are medical problems with either the mother or baby - but I'd prefer it to happen a week sooner if I'm honest smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now