Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38 weeks pregnant and measuring 32 :-(

(19 Posts)
NickysMam Wed 05-Mar-14 12:49:22

I've just been to see my MW and I've left feeling deflated.

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and baby is measuring 32 weeks.. at 34 weeks she measured 31. So that's 1 week growth in 4 weeks. I have an U/S scheduled for Monday. My MW isn't happy but isn't overly concerned as she's moving a lot which is why the ultrasound isn't urgent but I'm worried!

Has anyone had similar and baby ended up being okay? sad

NickysMam Wed 05-Mar-14 13:06:08

anyone? sad

Writerwannabe83 Wed 05-Mar-14 13:08:19

It's understandable you are worried - especially so close to the end when you can finally see the end of the tunnel.

I haven't been in your position so can't really offer any reassurance but I hope everything turns out to be fine - I'm sure it will.

It's reassuring about the movements and if the midwife was seriously concerned she'd arrange for a scan to be done much quicker than another 5 days away.

Just make sure you take your hospital bag with you on Monday in case they end up wanting to admit and induce you smile

NickysMam Wed 05-Mar-14 13:11:33

Thank you for your reply!

Okay, I'll take my hospital bag with me. it's just so far away I hope I can handle the wait for the ultrasound

IsletsOfLangerhans Wed 05-Mar-14 13:12:36

I was sent for an extra ultrasound at 34 weeks as I was measuring small (29/30 weeks). It turned out I just had a well-packaged bump and the scan showed the baby was developing normally and was actually larger than expected for the dates. I ended up with an 8lb baby on my due date! Try not to worry.

BakingBunty Wed 05-Mar-14 13:16:04

I also measured small at 38 weeks and had an extra ultrasound. I ended up having an 8lbs baby! So not so tiny after all... He was back to back, which can make your bump look a bit smaller. Hope all goes well. If you're really concerned, I'd phone them back and ask for an earlier scan.

upjacobscreekwithoutapaddle Wed 05-Mar-14 13:16:40

Yes, I measured 3 or 4 weeks under (can't remember which, sorry) with ds2. My mw wasn't overly concerned as I had measured slightly under for most of the pregnancy and I'm 6ft which apparently can influence things. Anyhooo via the combined Mumsnet/mw stepmum wisdom I was told to push for an ultrasound as 4 weeks growth difference is enough to monitor and ensure no other problems, (by this time I was at term.) I had the scan which revealed my water levels were slightly low so I was taken in for induction but went into labour naturally that night and he was born a healthy 7lb 4.

My advice; keep a close eye on movement, don't stress as the tape measure method isn't the most accurate, and have the u/s so you can suss out if there is an underlying reason for measuring small and if necessary make an informed decision from there. Best of luck.

NickysMam Wed 05-Mar-14 13:18:00

Thank you Islets and bakingbunty my midwife did say that my bump was very compact so maybe that could be it. Hopefully that is it.. I'll try to take my mind off it.

NickysMam Wed 05-Mar-14 13:19:48

thank you upjacobscreek I'll definitely be keeping an eye on her mmovements. She moves a lot so I never really thought about it but I will be keeping a close eye

PartyConfused Wed 05-Mar-14 13:24:57

Nicky I've had two different examples of this, both with different outcomes.
Dd1 at about 35 weeks measured 30 weeks with the tape measure. They rushed me off for a scan instantly (I was already at hospital) and it was all fine. She was just lay across me.
Dd2 was very tiny and they did an emcs at 29 weeks as she had stopped growing and had IUGR. She is 1 now and fine!

I'm surprised your mw didn't send you for a scan the first time she measured you small at 34 weeks?
Keep a close eye on movements and any changes go in for monitoring. Although the chances are everything is totally fine, I am surprsied ypu weren't sent to the DAU to check.

KitKat1985 Wed 05-Mar-14 15:50:19

I have a friend who was told throughout with DD's pregnancy that they were concerned about her lack of growth and how small she was for her dates. Her DD was nearly 9lb when she was born. The measurements aren't fantastically accurate so try not to worry too much. xxx

ivebeentheretoo Wed 05-Mar-14 15:59:47

I was measuring 33cm t 38 weeks and had a scan which showed dc3 was same size as a 32 weeker.

I was induced with the pessary as although her heart trace was fine, I was getting starting to get periods of reduced movements and we had had problems in a previous pregnancy.

She shot out in under 2 hours, is 5lb 1oz but well and we were home the next day.

She is 3 weeks old now and lying next to me sleeping. Diddy but perfect!

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done) but do keep an eye on movements and get advice if they change to be on the safe side.

weebairn Wed 05-Mar-14 16:13:04

I think I was 35cm at 40 weeks and no one was concerned. I am short. I had a little bump. Baby was 6lb 14oz, born at 40+5, healthy as anything.

Mintymoomoo Wed 05-Mar-14 16:20:23

With my second dd I measured really small 29W at 38w had scan they said baby was fine just small and was born at 41w weighing 5lbs 8oz and perfectly healthy! All my babies have been small my biggest was 6 and a half pound overdue

babybythesea Wed 05-Mar-14 16:24:56

DD1 didn't grow between 32 and 36 weeks. I was sent for an immediate emergency scan. They said she'd dropped and engaged and was more 'down' than 'out.' I went back again for my 38 week check and she hadn't grown again. Cue another emergency scan. Apparently I had calcium spots on the placenta which indicated that it was slowly packing up - normal from 40 weeks, not so normal at 38. This causes a decrease in the fluid level around the baby, and so a drop in bump size. I was told to be extra vigilant about her movements and to phone if I thought there was any sign of her slowing down or not moving. I was also in hospital every other morning having her heart checked and movement assessed. They were keen not to induce as they felt she was fine. At 41 weeks I had had enough and so had she. She stopped moving, I phoned the hospital and she was born after induction less than 24 hours later weighing 7 pounds 9 ounces and absolutely fine and perfect.
My bump was so small that someone I met while heading in to hospital for the induction (hospital in town centre so you could easily be walking past not going in!) didn't even spot I was pregnant. I know it was winter and I had a fleece on but still......

balenciaga Wed 05-Mar-14 16:26:57

Aww I had the same and my dd was absolutely fine

Am sure there's nothing to worry about x

tsw Wed 05-Mar-14 18:32:54

I had the opposite problem last pregnancy (measured fine but a missed iugr resulting in a stillbirth at 38 weeks).

Sorry but it is ridiculous for them to expect you to wait until Monday to be checked!

Even if all is okay, you will be upset and stressed which won't be helping matters. I'd ask for the scan to be moved forward.....

I really do not understand the insistence in using archaic fundal measurements if they are just going to be sat on, tolerated or even ignored by the midwife!

NickysMam Wed 05-Mar-14 21:04:04

Thank you for all your replies. I've been so down today because of it but you've all reassured me.

DS was 6lbs14oz but he measured on track which is why I worried so much. My mum told me that she had small babies too so I shouldn't worry too much and to wait for the ultrasound. I'm keeping an eye on her movements but I don't want to be ott with it.

I'll let you all know how my ultrasound goes on Monday.

thank you ladies xxx thanks

ItsSpringBaby Wed 05-Mar-14 23:16:15

With my first I had a very small and compact bump, I felt like a complete fraud in hospital. I'm not skinny either and had a bit of a belly before even being pregnant. I remember prior to this visiting the GP who measured me several weeks behind and just said "oh well you probably don't have much fluid"...

Nothing else was done, and he arrived weighing 7lbs 9oz. It also felt like there was plenty of fluid during the labour, it was gushing out constantly even 24 hours after my waters had broken.

With my second I was huge, but that was an almost 10lber!

Now with this pregnancy my bump is small and compact again. I have regular scans relating to a separate issue, and thus far there is no problem with the baby's size and my fluid levels are normal. This baby is looking to be closer to the 6-7lb mark at birth.

So, not always a horror story. Good luck with your scan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now