Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unpasturised Emmental Cheese - Please advise

(9 Posts)
Iona1651 Wed 05-Mar-14 11:41:59

I've just opened and cut off 3 pieces of Emmental cheese. I was enjoying it - decided to look at the packet - it says made with UNPASTURISED MILK! I was sure this was ok when I bought it at the supermarket. I think I must've to confused with another cheese when I bought it. Will this have harmed our baby? It is in date and has been in the fridge since getting home from the supermarket. I'm worried now. Please advise.

Pootles2010 Wed 05-Mar-14 11:46:06

No you're fine with that one because its a hard cheese, not soft! See here. Mmmm Emmental... enjoy away.

Iona1651 Wed 05-Mar-14 12:05:04

Thanks Pootles for that. Put my mind at rest. Been feeling icky today and just fancy cheese and biscuits - cheese just too tempting so had a bit on its own. Feeling relieved now.

Plateofcrumbs Wed 05-Mar-14 18:15:38

I think the basic rules are all hard cheeses are OK. Soft cheeses are only OK if they are pasteurised and not blue-veined or mould-ripened (like Brie, Gorgonzola etc).

Roseandmabelshouse Wed 05-Mar-14 19:22:06

But you can have stilton! It's so confusing.

LePetitPont Wed 05-Mar-14 19:26:02

It's the soft blue veined cheeses that are the issue. Stilton is apparently hard, so all good! Hurrah for cheese - and enjoy your Emmentaal.

LePetitPont Wed 05-Mar-14 19:27:14

Handy list of hard cheeses here: http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/food_glossary/cheese__hard.html

LePetitPont Wed 05-Mar-14 19:28:17

here

Plateofcrumbs Wed 05-Mar-14 19:33:40

Yep Stilton counts as a hard cheese, praise be!

The other amendment to the rule above is melted/baked cheese of any description is fine, just ensure thoroughly heated through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now