Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

will i make friends without NCT classes?

(10 Posts)
aroha77 Wed 05-Mar-14 07:33:20

The classes I booked on have been cancelled because there's not enough people booked onto them. Will I be ok without them?!

Thanks!

bishboschone Wed 05-Mar-14 07:38:47

Of course , I never went to nct .. Seemed a bit airy fairy for my liking.. You can go to baby drop ins when you have had the baby. Baby massage classes , baby music classes.. Lots of stuff goes on.. Have a lol for your local family centre they always have things going on for new mums .

AnythingNotEverything Wed 05-Mar-14 07:38:55

Of course you will! NCT run postnatal groups which are well thought of, you could join the antenatal club here (mine organises regular meet ups and has offered much handholding at 3am!), plus once baby is a few weeks old you could do something like baby massage.

There might also be classes through the NHS locally.

Blueuggboots Wed 05-Mar-14 07:40:41

I went to NCT classes. It was great for the first 10-12 months and we all really helped each other.
The it got really weird and splintered off, with the help of a WENDY.
It really hurt me and left a bitter taste.
You'll make friends. smile

givemeaclue Wed 05-Mar-14 07:40:50

Yes the nhs run ante natal and post natal groups that's where I made my baby friends

ShoeWhore Wed 05-Mar-14 07:42:37

Yes. I met friends through a post natal group (NHS) I was new to the area so I also asked my HV to put me in touch with some other new mums.

Sid77 Wed 05-Mar-14 07:50:05

You will, even more so as your baby gets older and you start going to play groups etc. I made some brilliant (and longstanding) friends from my NCT group, but I gave friends who's NCT group was really small and they didn't click, and others who's group were just all a bit bonkers and never met up again. There are lots of other ways to meet people with little babies.

ShadowFall Wed 05-Mar-14 08:02:08

Yes, you'll be okay.

I missed my NCT classes as DS1 turned up before they started.

There's other places to meet other new mums such as:

-NCT run bumps and babies groups / toddlers groups;
-Surestart run groups (the ones locally to me have groups ranging from more formal classes like baby massage & singing to informal baby cafes and stay & play groups);
- local toddler groups at community centres / leisure centres

adagio Wed 05-Mar-14 08:14:59

I couldn't afford NCT and did Lazy Daisy birthing classes instead - which was actually much nicer as it was yoga ish exercise too. We all met up quite a few times post birth.

As the babies got a bit bigger I started going to a few baby groups, one led to another and the Daisy group drifted apart (we were not exactly geographically close to be honest so wasn't the easiest group to maintain).

In my area all the baptist churches do free groups, Methodist churches charge 50p, and the council ones at leisure centres cost a few quid. I don't mind a bit of Jesus for a free cuppa and a chat smile - thats tongue in cheek by the way, they are not at all preachy its just occasionally at song time we have a bit of wise man built his house on the sand etc.

Oh and apparently the libraries do free rhyme time, which I am yet to try.

amandine07 Wed 05-Mar-14 08:49:53

Don't worry at all about this!
I half heartedly looked for a local group but it didn't start til after my due date

There are usually lots of things going on locally.
Have heard the positive and negative stories of NCT honestly don't feel I've missed out on something amazing...have definitely saved myself a couple hundred quid! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now