Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose tolerance test tomorrow!!!!!!!

(6 Posts)
Hellymummy Wed 05-Mar-14 07:00:55

Aaargghhhhhh I have my GTT tomorrow and I'm absolutely terrified! I'm worrying about the fasting from tonite, will I be ok?, will I feel sick with hunger, will,I feel faint thru not eating??? Then I'm worried about the 2 hour wait in hosp still with no food!!!!! Also something else I'm unsure about, once the fasting starts can I still drink water or nothing??????

greentshirt Wed 05-Mar-14 07:52:02

Doesn't it say all this on the letter?

I did mine yesterday, had to fast from midnight the night before. First set of bloods 8.45 then 10 mins to drink glucose drink. 2 nd set 10.45 and was allowed water in the 2 hour wait.

LastOneDancing Wed 05-Mar-14 09:09:01

I was fine and I'm a breakfast addict! I was allowed to drink water.

I would recommend you get yourself in there first thing and down the lucozade/ sugary drink ASAP, so you can get out first and get some food when the test is complete as you might feel a bit shaky.

But honestly, it was fine - they make you sit quietly in the clinic to avoid any fainting issues. Its more mind numbingly boring than scary - take a book!

PixieBumbles Wed 05-Mar-14 09:25:14

When I had mine I was allowed water during the 2 hour wait. Take some biscuits or cereal bars with you so you've got something to eat as soon as it's over. Mine was done at my GP surgery and the phlebotomist raided the staff room to get me a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits and made sure I finished them before I left.

I did feel slightly wobbly after having the glucose drink, but nothing a sit down and a glass of water didn't sort out. They make you stay in between blood tests so they can keep an eye on you just in case you do feel faint or sick at all, so you will be looked after.

Honestly, it will be fine!

dats Wed 05-Mar-14 09:41:24

It's not as bad as you think, honest! I was panicking about the fasting - I'm not sure what I thought would happen! I ate a big dinner, then a lot of cake until my cut off of 8.50pm and then managed to distract myself.

I was then concerned about not being able to take antacids and waking up at all hours with raging heartburn, but I was allowed water so I sipped that and it was all fine.

And I wasn't hungry in the morning - and even afterwards I didn't immediately have to stuff my face! And the drink didn't taste too bad either.

So I wasted cortisol and adrenalin worrying about nowt grin

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 05-Mar-14 10:13:46

Same here. I was in first thing, and often sleep a bit later and eat breakfast later so I didn't feel at all hungry. The syrup was pretty unpleasant, goopy but lemony, a weird combination, but I napped during the two hours and got through it fine.
Personally I'd take something with a bit of protein in it for after, s ham sandwich maybe, as a sugary cereal bar type thing on an empty stomach would send me a bit wobbly, but that's just me. I'm sure you will be just fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now