Talk

Advanced search

Wish I hadn't researched anomaly scan :-(

(7 Posts)
VJONES1985 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:07:27

Despite it's name, I really didn't realise until tonight that the 20-week anomaly scan can pick up serious issues. My 12 week scan was fine so I've been looking forward to my next one but mow I'm just scared in case something goes wrong. And there's nothing I can do about it even if there is a problem, so it all seems like a waste of energy grumble grumble Am 16 weeks tomorrow.

peeapod Mon 03-Mar-14 21:15:14

focus on the positives.

you get to see baby again. the heart beat close up is amazing to watch.

you might (if you want) get to find out what flavour baby is.

You get to know that baby is really really. Remember, 4 weeks after this scan (if you have it at 20w) baby is "viable" so at 20 weeks everything is looking pretty realistic.

dont miss it. just focus on the positives. remember the negatives but try not to worry about them unles they happen...

VJONES1985 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:17:17

Thanks, peapod, I have been pretty calm and carefree until now (unusually for me). What do you mean when you say it's viable four weeks later?

22honey Mon 03-Mar-14 21:19:18

Hi, I havn't any advice as I'm in pretty much the same position as you, 16+2 weeks and worried about upcoming scan and tbh the rest of the pregnancy. Except I knew full well the anamoly scan picks up problems as had a friend who's DD had a serious heart defect picked up on it, her DD sadly died at 7 months old after months of hospitalization and surgery sad Not to mention the hundreds of stories online which really don't help your confidence in things.

I really want to focus on the positives and although I'm showing a bit and had no problems, am young, slim and healthy I am absolutely terrified of this next scan tbh.

Your not alone with the worries! I'm even bricking it for my 16 week midwife appointment on Thursday.

XXX

VJONES1985 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:21:23

Fingers crossed for you, honey. I suppose the best way to look at it is that while things do go wrong, you are still more likely to have a healthy pregnancy than not...

bonzo77 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:27:27

Viability means that the baby can survive if born. At 24 weeks, with a lot of help from NiCU and some luck, your baby is likely to be able to survive and thrive if born.

VJONES1985 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:29:30

I see. Assuming all is well with it, of course. I think my fears are worsened by the fact that I'm having a second scan that day - a very close look at baby's heart because I have T1 diabetes. So I am just very aware that something could go wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now