Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

AGAIN, no movement!!

(21 Posts)
HeavenK76 Mon 03-Mar-14 20:41:16

felt movement at 18 weeks for two days, friday was the last day when I felt movement and also saw my midwife who done all checks except HB coz guidelines have changed supposedly. They don't do hb's and uterus height before 24 weeks.
Anyway, I told her I didn't feel a lot of movement and that I do have an anterior placenta but she said that should not stop you from feeling the baby move.
I haven't felt baby since, I rang maternity ward on Saturday and the midwife said it's very normal not to feel anything at 18 weeks or more till 24 weeks.

I'm still worried coz I felt lo move, now nothing. Couldn't get to hear hb as well
which makes me worry even more. sad

Ratbagcatbag Mon 03-Mar-14 20:55:49

Ring again, if you're worried ask them to check. I went loads due to anterior placenta.

monniemae Mon 03-Mar-14 21:08:41

I think if you're worried you should call them BUT if it helps you in the meantime, I too had anterior placenta and I didn't feel anything till long after 18 weeks. Maybe 23ish? and no consistent / regular movements for a good while longer.

monniemae Mon 03-Mar-14 21:09:14

Ps and I WAS told a/p would make it harder to feel movements earlier on.

FabBakerGirl Mon 03-Mar-14 21:12:42

If you have started having movements you are bound to be worried if they stop. I would go in every time I was worried and did with mine. This is YOUR baby. If anything was to be wrong it would have very little effect on the midwife who said nothing to worry about.

Kellyjdancer Mon 03-Mar-14 21:23:32

I have an anterior placenta.

I started to feel "is it or isn't it baby" in my19th week. I didn't really know it was baby until about 22 weeks and was definitely not consistent in the early days. I would get nervous when someone would say,"do you feel her all the time now" and kind of panic not being able to remember when I last felt her.

I agree with the others, if you need reassurance or are worried, ring the midwife or hospital. I just hope my experience shows that an anterior placenta can definitely cause a delay in consistent movements. Especially if baby changes position and is facing a weird way.

lucy101 Tue 04-Mar-14 07:23:34

Hi there, I have an anterior placenta after two posterior ones and it is very disconcerting. I had days with very little movement between 24 and 32 weeks so went in for monitoring a few times and the consultant told me to go in every day if necessary. From about 32 weeks I have had more consistent movement, I guess because the baby is bigger and can't 'hide' behind the placenta so easily. I hope this is reassuring but always get checked out.

lighteningmcmama Tue 04-Mar-14 07:30:25

I had anterior placenta and had days of movement followed by days (weeks!) Of no movement. Not saying you shouldn't get it checked out, but just yup reassure you it could all be fine

Evie2014 Tue 04-Mar-14 07:35:53

My experience is very similar to kelly's. 24 weeks with twins and it's really only this week that the (still very light) movements are consistent. Doc says this is almost certainly due to the anterior placenta as there's a LOT going on in my tummy! It was so funny at the 20 week scan- we could see them bouncing off the walls inside and I couldn't feel a thing!

But yes if you are worried do get it checked out.

Evie2014 Tue 04-Mar-14 07:42:39

Forgot to add that with anterior placenta sometimes it doesn't feel like individual kicks so much as general rumblings/rummagings.

A good way to test things out yourself is to drink a big glass of cold Fanta. I did this accidentally last week and my babies went absolutely wriggle-crazy! I barely got out of the restaurant and had to lie down when I got home they were dancing about so much! A friend of ours told us subsequently that when she got worried about lack of movement and went to the clinic they gave her Fanta (obviously the full sugar kind, not diet, apparently even better than Coke, don't know why) and got her to lie on her side and sure enough her baby kicked off.

Just a DIY idea!

hubbahubster Tue 04-Mar-14 07:56:47

This is my second anterior placenta so I'm a bit more laid-back. I too felt very definite movement at 18 weeks and then nothing until after 20 weeks. They're more nudges than kicks, and I don't feel much if I'm sitting at my desk at work. I've got a week off at the moment and have noticed much more movement since I'm getting to lie on my side and have a quiet cup of tea in the mornings instead of rushing around!

If you're worried then of course follow up any change of movement, but wanted to reassure you that it's likely all is fine.

BTW my midwife always listens to baby's heartbeat, so it's not policy across the whole NHS - could just be in your area. It's really reassuring when you can't feel much due to anterior placenta - you can hear kicks too - so it may be worth asking if they can give it a go.

highlove Tue 04-Mar-14 08:46:23

Another one with AP here. I first felt baby move about 17 weeks but I didn't start to feel anything daily till at least 22 weeks, I guess because there's so much space for baby to move about and hide behind the placenta. The usual cold/sugary drink stuff didn't always work either, again no suppose because baby was kicking on the placenta.

If you're worried you should call again, but I think at your stage with an AP it's pretty normal.

highlove Tue 04-Mar-14 08:47:07

*I suppose.

Snowlet Tue 04-Mar-14 09:28:49

I can't believe they told you that you should still feel movement at 18 weeks even with an anterior placenta, I think that's very irresponsible of them!

I've got an AP and I wasn't feeling consistent movement until about 22 weeks I'd say. Then the movements start to get stronger. But at 18 weeks with an AP? You won't be feeling very much in my experience.

xxx28xxx Tue 04-Mar-14 13:32:37

Hi op

Try not to worry, like many others I have ap and whilst I started to feel movement around 18-19 weeks it was quite faint and sometimes I wouldn't feel anything for a day or so. My mw told me not to expect a regular movement pattern until 26 weeks and even then with ap the kicks etc won't be as hard. I'm now 30 weeks and whilst I've felt regular movement since around 25/26 weeks it's only been the last couple of weeks that I feel baby moving loads, he must have grown a lot!

My mw listened to heartbeat last week and she could see him kicking my tummy yet I couldn't feel it all! She said that's quite normal with ap as it can absorb a lot of movement.

Of course if u are worried call and get seen, always better to be safer than sorry and it's horrible sitting around worrying!

flymo79 Tue 04-Mar-14 14:00:58

hi all - did they tell you at your 12w scan that you had anterior placenta? I feel as though I don't know where placenta is with me!

greentshirt Tue 04-Mar-14 15:41:37

Check on your scan report which should be in your notes Flymo, cant remember whether it was 12 or 20 weeks when it was noted, but its on one of them!

Sussex31 Tue 04-Mar-14 18:11:15

My 20 week notes show 'anterior high' but it wasn't mentioned by the sonographer at either 12 weeks or 20 weeks.

highlove Tue 04-Mar-14 22:33:09

I was told at 20 wk scan.

Boogles91 Tue 04-Mar-14 23:05:20

Why did they say they cant pick uo a hb until 24wks :s i had mine checked at 17wks and my gawd was it strong! At one point it sounded like drums playing as he was on the wriggle :p my midwife told me the guidlines to check hb spis 18wks onwards so i think you should question that xx

Snowlet Thu 06-Mar-14 09:01:28

They said they couldn't pick up a heartbeat until 24 weeks? That's BONKERS. I had a bleed so had a reassurance scan at 8 weeks and could clearly hear and see the heartbeat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now