Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Colleague newly pregnant, so I feel bad telling boss I am too

(9 Posts)
MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 03-Mar-14 20:18:23

Am 6.5 weeks and want to hold out a little longer before telling work (mmc last year). Today ive returned after annual leave and learned that a colleague (well, part of her job is working for me and the other part is working for ny line manager) is eight weeks pregnant and has notified the boss and our team.

We are a very small group and work lots of shifts so are all really close. Cover for one maternity leave is hard enough but all going well with pregnancies, there will be two lots to think about - two in a team of twelve.

I just feel guilty about telling my boss (although that may ease in the next few weeks). Its also colleagies first baby so I now want to leave it even longer so she can enjoy the excitement of it all and the chatter and planning conversations with the team.

Im totally overthinking this. I know that. Waahh

somedizzywhore1804 Mon 03-Mar-14 20:20:33

I was the 4th to get pregnant in my dept in six months and the 2nd to go down with hyperemesis. That's more than a third of the whole department!!!

I know the feeling of guilt but not much you can do. Good luck with the next nine months OP smile

MissSlackPants84 Mon 03-Mar-14 20:24:19

That could have been written by me! I came in to tell work to find out my junior had announced her pregnancy. My heart sank! I'm 8 weeks further gone than her but cant help but feel guilty for leaving work in the shit.

Just bite the bullet and tell your boss. I worried for weeks about it and turns out my boss was excellent.

BTW congratulations x

CrispyFB Mon 03-Mar-14 20:50:14

There were four of us on our team when I got pregnant in 2008, and I knew my colleague was TTC too (heck, I was giving her tips!) We got our BFPs within a week of each other. I wanted to tell at 12 weeks but her DH was trying to get her to keep it secret as long as possible so it didn't affect her promotion prospects or something. I knew they'd have to do massive re-arrangements for just one of us leaving so I held off as long as I could over telling simply because I didn't want them to have to do all the rearranging twice! In the end I got to 17 weeks and it was getting silly so I had to tell - I think she told two weeks later, I'm hoping it didn't cause too much of a disaster!

I did feel horrendously guilty but my bosses were extremely understanding - probably helped they were starting families themselves at the same time though!

MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 03-Mar-14 21:14:58

I know im probably feeling daft about it and in truth, I dont want to "steal limelight" even though its my second so noone will be that fussed grin its just nice for her to be cooed over. I dont want to break the spell haha

firstbaby01 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:18:17

I was in a similar situation. I told my line manager as soon as I found out but asked her to keep it a secret and my colleague who has the same due date as me did the same two hours later! I guessed about my colleague as soon as they came back into the room as the look on my managers face was priceless! We are a team of 6 aswell and our old line manager is currently on maternity leave too smile

BurnstonesBabies Mon 03-Mar-14 22:50:49

Happened to me as well! My junior colleague is a month behind me but told work when she was just 6 weeks pregnant due to sickness. I then dreaded telling them about me too and was really panicky because we're a small team and two of us being off will really impact. But I did it and they were fine! Phew. I finish work in a month.

ChicaMomma Tue 04-Mar-14 09:13:00

I'm on a team of 5.. 1 girl finished up last week and i'm finishing up mid June.. leaving them down to 3 PMs for 4 months until Ann gets back in Oct.. they'll have a really really tough 4 months and it's not ideal, i felt bad also, but as my boss said, ''That is life- quite literally''..

Put it out of your mind and focus on having a happy and healthy pregnancy! CONGRATS!!!

Ubik1 Tue 04-Mar-14 09:14:54

I used to work in a dept called 'forward planning'

it was renamed 'family planning' after I was the third person to get pregnant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now