Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it important that 20w scan is done on time?

(8 Posts)
elliejjtiny Mon 03-Mar-14 16:15:18

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and still haven't had a letter about my 20 week scan. My midwife chased it up at my 16w appointment. I haven't had the consultant appointment that was meant to happen at the same time as the dating scan either but that was my fault as I've had to cancel twice as they keep sending me appointments that clash with the school run. I've got 4 DC's, 2 with SN so lots of appointments already so part of me just thinks I should wait until they send me a letter as I've already got enough to do. However part of me thinks maybe there are some things they check for at 20 weeks that can't be checked later. So does it matter when the 20w scan is as long as it's before I give birth. I see the midwife at 25 weeks so was planning on asking her to chase it up then if I haven't heard anything.

TheOnlySeven Mon 03-Mar-14 16:33:55

As far as I'm aware the reason it's at 20 weeks is in case they find any serious problems which could result in you choosing not to continue the pregnancy. I've had later growth scans with mine at 28 and 34 weeks, they are still able to get all of the measurements but don't do photos as baby is too big for a good picture.

elliejjtiny Mon 03-Mar-14 20:18:53

Thanks. As long as they will still be able to see what they need to later then I will wait until my midwife appointment before I chase them up. I don't want to make a fuss and jump the queue.

I don't think it would be 'making a fuss' to call the maternity unit and ask when your app is.

PartyConfused Mon 03-Mar-14 20:22:27

I'm sure they will fit you in quickly once the midwife gets involved. I've not had either of my anomaly scans at 20 weeks. First one was 22 weeks, 2nd was 19 weeks as 20 weeks was christmas day!

I think it is supppsed to be done between 18-23 weeks. But this is a vague memory of the postwr in the waiting room!

HarderToKidnap Mon 03-Mar-14 21:22:10

There are some things that are much easier to visualise at 20 weeks. T can be a lot harder when baby is bigger and more squashed.

elliejjtiny Wed 05-Mar-14 10:07:40

Thanks everyone. Yesterday someone from the antenatal clinic phoned me, apologising for forgetting me. Scan is booked for tomorrow.

ChicaMomma Wed 05-Mar-14 10:09:37

Most hospitals in Dublin do that scan now at 22 weeks- apparently there's a lot of growth between 20 and 22, so 22 is the new 20! I had mine done at 22+4. It's an exciting scan, enjoy it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now