Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Trying on maternity wear - London

(10 Posts)
eurochick Mon 03-Mar-14 15:09:32

I'm having little luck buying maternity wear online - 3/4 of what I order is either miles too big or too small, and returns are such a faff. I know there is a Seraphine in London. Are there any other places I can go and try stuff on?

MyNameIsWinkly Mon 03-Mar-14 15:16:09

The big Topshop at Oxford Circus has a decent maternity section, and there's Mamas & Papas across the street from it.

cogitosum Mon 03-Mar-14 15:29:17

That mamas & papas has shut down I think.

The h&m on regent street has a good selection as does the new look on the east end of Oxford street (opposite side from bond street) has a good selection.

MyNameIsWinkly Mon 03-Mar-14 15:36:14

Wow cogito you're right, the nearest ones are in the Westfield centres. Wonder what's there now.

eurochick Mon 03-Mar-14 15:46:09

Thanks. I will check those out. H&M and Topshop seem ok for casual stuff, but what about workwear? I work in the City and am really struggling to find office-appropriate stuff.

dannydyerismydad Mon 03-Mar-14 15:49:40

The Gap on Oxford Street opposite the big Top Shop used to stock maternity wear. Not sure if it still does - maternity wear is getting harder and harder to find on the high street.

Isabella Oliver stuff online is beautiful - sign up to their mailing list and wait for one of their flash sales to stock up.

eurochick Mon 03-Mar-14 16:25:31

I've got some IO stuff on order but I've heard bad things about the quality.

Mat wear is really hard to find in the shops now.

Cariad007 Mon 03-Mar-14 16:34:04

Seraphine has a slightly snooty boutique in Hampstead.

mrsmonkey14 Mon 03-Mar-14 17:20:55

Hi eurochick, if you're heading to Oxford St there is a (nice) Seraphine on Marylebone High St. Been a couple of times and staff were helpful and also found it easier to order from them online having tried on things in store and know what size/styles suit best etc. I know the online shopping is a pain but i've found it to be the only way to get anything decent. Got some good stuff from Gap Maternity (and they always have discounts on). Jojo Maman Bebe also had some office appropriate stuff, and I got a couple of good 'jackets' from asos.com - very soft cardigan style jackets but good to put over a dress for looking smart. Also just ordered from Vertbaudet - will see what they turn out like.

I know it's not what you asked but one thing i've found super helpful is to make my own 'maternity tights' by wearing pre-preg ones (M&S) but making a vertical cut down from the waistband in the centre, so they sit nicely under bump at front, but still high at back. Been doing this with great success for weeks and means can wear dresses to work but still be comfy (I'm guessing that like me it would not be appropriate for you to wear leggings to work).

cogitosum Mon 03-Mar-14 19:15:03

New look and gap in Liverpool street have maternity sections and may stock more city wear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now