Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else restricted at work?

(7 Posts)
MyNameIsWinkly Mon 03-Mar-14 12:22:54

I know this isn't the usual working whilst pregnant problem, and I have a lot to be grateful for. I'm normally a front line police officer, and due to sickness had to tell work very early on that I was pregnant. Since then, I've been restricted - obviously they're not sending me out to deal with fights and drunks etc! But the work they would normally give pregnant women to do has largely been centralised, so there's next to nothing for me to be getting on with.

I do everything they can give me, but I'm used to working hard, being busy, and getting satisfaction from my job. Normally I feel like part of a team and love it. Now I just feel like a waster and a piss taker, and its seriously getting me down. I actually feel like shit, I didn't realise how much of a boost my self esteem got from working hard and doing well.

Don't know what I'm looking for from this thread - maybe to see if there's anyone else in a similar boat. Oh well, only 100 days until I start maternity leave... sad

MyNameIsWinkly Mon 03-Mar-14 12:30:31

The fact that I am approximately the size of a hippo and DH displays no interest in having sex with me (its been over 2 months!) doesn't help my ego either.

flymo79 Mon 03-Mar-14 13:02:15

hi winkly - not in the same boat as haven't been restricted at work but didn't want to read and run. Hope someone will come along soon who can give some advice, but in the meantime I'm really sorry this is getting you down. can you approach the sex with DH thing in a sensitive way and let him know how you're feeling? seems rough to be gutted both at work and at home, I would think that letting him know you need some more attention might get things off your chest

SellyMevs Mon 03-Mar-14 14:17:32

Hi Winkly,

I can sympathise.. I'm a paramedic. I've been in the office 2 months after telling them at about 7 weeks. I couldn't handle the blue light driving with morning sickness.

I have no real job in the office. Everything thinks it must be a breeze. But it's just not what I'm used to. I can go for hours without even being given a task to do. I try and be proactive, but there's only so much work you can find for yourself. I've taken to going on as many training courses I can find so that I can keep in touch with what I'm used to.

I've got a while to go yet, I've not even thought about when I want to start my maternity leave. I've absolutely no advice or coping methods so all I can say is I know how crap it is.... If that is any consolation at all!

SellyMevs Mon 03-Mar-14 14:17:59

*everyone, not everything

Rubysmommy Mon 03-Mar-14 14:25:25

I'm not currently pregnant - my DS is 4 months old now but I'm a front line bobby too.
I was on restricted too - in comparison to the usual, it is mind numbing! I ended up finding my own work - viewing and copying CCTV for other shifts officers, doing any files/upgrades I could, I sent an e-mail out explaining to everyone that I was restricted and could do their desk enquiries. I wasn't allowed out of the station but I used to ask witnesses to attend the station (risk assessing each one of course!) to take statements.
I even resorted to keeping the report writing room stationery/property bags stocked up!
If your station is anything like ours, as soon as people realise you're willing, you'll be busier now than when you were on shift!

MyNameIsWinkly Mon 03-Mar-14 15:07:21

selly - oddly it is consolation to know that I'm not alone!

rubys congratulations on your DS smile I think I will attempt to follow your example a little, though (without outing myself too much) most of the enquiries are carried out by dedicated teams based in different buildings following a large scale re-arrangement so there genuinely isn't even much of that to go around!

flymo thank you.

I do feel a little better just for sharing, I feel less like I'm losing the plot knowing other people have felt the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now