Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Finally have an appetite back and all I want is junk :-(

(15 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Mon 03-Mar-14 10:58:27

So I'm 13+1 and have lost 12 lbs so far in my pregnancy due to sickness and not being hungry.

Last few weeks I've been starting to feel better and get an appetite back but all I want is junk. Dr pepper, cheese burgers, chippy food, lots of cheese, salty crisps etc

I'm taking my multi vitamins etc but I'm still worried that only wanting junk at the moment trying to eat healthy is making me gag :-(

Any advice? Should I just go with the cravings for now? Thanks x

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Mar-14 11:01:50

MrsG, pleased you are feeling better.
I had a terrible pregnancy with dd1, hospitalised with hyperemesis. For much of it i either didn't eat, or I had about 4 different foods I could tolerate during the later stages. Jelly tots were one of these, and chicken noodle soup!
dd1 was nearly 10lb born, which was a shock but oddly reassuring. Obviously it is better if one can eat healthily, but imo it is better to eat something than nothing. smile

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Mar-14 11:02:41

Can you tolerate fruit juice, or maybe some baked beans withyour chips?

Loopylouu Mon 03-Mar-14 11:04:25

I was the same and I've mostly eaten crap for the entirety of his pregnancy.

Do you know what my consultant said? "A calorie is a calorie, the baby gets all the nutrients it needs from the stores in your body, and even junk has some nutritional value, eat what you can when you can and don't stress."

eurochick Mon 03-Mar-14 11:05:31

With so much weight loss, it sounds like your body just wants calories. I'd go with it if I were you. The appetite for healthy stuff should come back soon enough. I went through a few weeks where I only wanted carbs. Last week I found myself standing at the salad bar at lunchtime and realised it had finally passed!

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 03-Mar-14 11:11:08

Thanks all.

Baked beans are something I can tolerate. Am managing jacket potatoes but with LOADS of butter, cheese and beans.

I guess something is better than nothing!
I'll try and make a fruit smoothie or something, they always look so lovely at work when I make them for the customers :-)

onepieceoflollipop Mon 03-Mar-14 11:14:59

Yes you probably do need extra calories anyway, making up for earlier weight loss. All the best with your pregnancy. Smoothies are an excellent idea, perhaps with yogurt or milk if you can face that alongside the fruit.

I also used to buy myself really luxury fruit to try and tempt my appetite (e.g. raspberries), more appealing that a more commonplace apple or banana.

DitaVonCreamTeas Mon 03-Mar-14 11:19:46

I'd just go with it - after my 'morning' sickness eased I spent a whole week only wanting cheap n nasty Cornish pasties smothered in tomato sauce, after that I found I was gradually able to introduce more 'good' foods until I was eating a pretty balanced diet. Doing the best you can is plenty good enough. :-)

Loopylouu Mon 03-Mar-14 11:35:00

Jacket pototoes, cheese and beans is a wonderful meal.

Carbs, protein, fat. Vitamin c from the potato skin.

MummytoMog Mon 03-Mar-14 11:43:02

I've been eating easter eggs, hot dog sausages and skittles. And chocolate milk, it's all good.

You know what I really want. BRIE. I WANT SOME GODDAMN BRIE.

Sorry.

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 03-Mar-14 11:45:57

Brie - how I miss it. Almost sick of cheddar :-(

MrsMonkeyBear Mon 03-Mar-14 12:28:42

I'm 7+3 and junk is all I want too. Ok I do stuff my burgers with extra salad to try and make up for it!!! But if it's layered in cheese and sandwiched in a bun/bread it's mine!!!! X x

CleverWittyUsername Mon 03-Mar-14 15:52:13

When I'm actually hungry I am also craving greasy crap. Maccy D chicken sandwich, cheeseburgers, KFC twisters, chicken dippers, spaghetti in a can and my latest craving is flippin supernoodles. Poor baby. I haven't eaten in a week due to D+V and I know if I give in to the cravings the grease will just make my tummy worse. Trying to sip coke and eat toast but I want KFC dammit!

Missingcaffeine Mon 03-Mar-14 16:33:52

I'm 10+2 and the same, apart from you can feel better about it as you have lost weight and your hunger probably comes from a need to make up for this! I have had dreadful nausea, but it has not stopped me eating. I've just eaten 6 bags of quavers and a tub of custard for lunch. I used to be so healthy! I'm so ashamed, I will hide the evidence from OH. Why did nature have to make pregnancy so difficult?! Oh, and a warning about the fruit juices and coke - made my teeth ultra sensitive to the point where they were all hurting, so now I'm avoiding them despite being the only appealing things to drink!

SellyMevs Mon 03-Mar-14 16:37:59

Just go with it. I'm 16 weeks, had awful morning sickness. I now have a limited diet. Fortunately the vomiting has stopped but my vice is lucosade when the nausea starts! I also like crisps.

My appetite is slowly coming back... I've even taken up eating grapes and apples on occasion! My GP wasn't concerned with my diet. I eat what I can manage. Sometimes it's toast, sometimes it's a burger.

My only disappointment is that I have gone off chocolate and tea. Now that bothers me wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now