Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nursing Bras

(19 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Mar-14 17:35:07

I'm 36 weeks now so am looking at getting my nursing bras but I feel completely lost.

I have no idea what size to buy.....do I buy the same size as the bras I'm in now? Or buy a bigger size because my breasts will likely get bigger once the milk comes in?? Or don't they??

I wouldn't even know which shop to go to for them!!
Not that I have the energy to go walking around shops anyway.....

Any advice is most welcome!!!!

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 02-Mar-14 17:37:47

What sort of size are you and do you have a Bravissimo anywhere near you? They will fit you properly and guide you on size.

You probably only want 1-2 to start with. Your breasts are a bit unpredictable at this point. Bravissimo will normally size you up in the cup and have the back on its very loosest setting, so that as your rib cage (likely) shrinks, you can tighten it. I have to say that they ones I had for the first month or so would have hung off my after that, and I've a pretty ample chest anyway.

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Sun 02-Mar-14 17:38:44

Bravado (and a number of others) do stretchy bras that aren't a specific size - I have changed size several times since DS (4.5 months) was born. Having initially been massive, I have gone down a size since my supply regulated.

There's every chance that the size you buy now won't be right once baby arrives.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Mar-14 17:51:38

I was 34C pre-pregnancy and am now wearing 38DD - although they have been feeling a bit tight across my back over the last few weeks.

I'm not sure if there is a Bravissimo near me - I will look on google smile I wasn't aware there are stretchy non-size type bras available, that's a good idea!

Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Mar-14 17:54:09

The nearest Bravissimo store is well over an hours drive away sad

MyriadOfMiracles Sun 02-Mar-14 19:03:48

M&S are good quality and they are always happy to measure/ help. They did me smile I was confused too! They also have good sales quite often in under wear smile

Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:07:29

And how many weeks gestation did you get measured??
I don't want to do it too soon if my boobs are only going to get bigger and then they wont fit..... hmm

MyriadOfMiracles Sun 02-Mar-14 19:10:44

I got measured around 38 weeks and I'm pretty sure they said wait until dc here, but I wanted everything organised prior to dd coming! I chanced it basically!

GummiBear74 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:11:48

I second Juan, with the Bravado stretchy ones. Like this.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:14:45

How do they expect new mothers to find the time to go nursing bra shopping??? Being advised to wait until the baby arrives isn't a very realistic approach is it? hmm smile

Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:15:54

Thanks for that link gummi - just taking a look now smile

MyriadOfMiracles Sun 02-Mar-14 19:18:55

No! It was mothercare that abided me of that if i remember correctly... In the end i got M&S . Good luck OP with whatever you choose, there is loads out there x

dannydyerismydad Sun 02-Mar-14 19:23:43

Yes! The Bravado stretchy ones are amazing. You can get them in John Lewis or online from NCT store (in more colours). I could be anything between a C and an F cup depending on the day of the week when my supply was establishing itself. The Bravado was always comfy. Now I'm back down to an A/B cup and it still fits beautifully.

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 02-Mar-14 19:25:00

I wouldn't recommend M&S personally, they always measure very large in the back.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:26:44

I've just ordered a stretchy Bravado one!!!
I will see how it fits when it arrives and if I'm happy with it I'll order myself some more!! Thanks everyone smile

LottyLikesWindows Sun 02-Mar-14 19:45:59

John Lewis were great when I went in for a fitting. Got two lovely nursing bras for £30. I didn't bother getting them for the first four weeks while my breasts were still adjusting to the milk supply, so I just wore maternity bras until then.

Must say it's much easier now that I wear nursing bras, especially at night. They are well fitted so there is no more leaking all over the bed and my baby smile

HazleNutt Sun 02-Mar-14 19:51:55

don't go to M&S or Mothercare for fitting, they will stick you in wildly wrong sizes due to their out-dated measuring system.
I agree, get something stretchy (bravado or for a little more support, Royce Blossom) and then measure yourself according to instructions here: thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.fr/p/fitting-advice.html
I personally hated the non-wired nursing bras with passion, so bought normal underwired ones and converted them myself.

Petal26 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:54:05

When you can get out and about rummage in the Debenhams sale rales, got loads of '2 pack' nursing bras for £7ish instead of £30 (once your size has settled down) :-)

mumofone84 Tue 04-Mar-14 07:41:46

You'll have most certainly gone up a couple of sizes with milk etc occurring. Get yourself measured and don't "guess" at a size esp if you're looking to breastfeed.

I used Bras4Mums (.co.uk) om FB& twitter too!! - they can check your sizing & send you bras (free postage& returns) & have a beautiful range - not just dowdy, boring nursing bras either x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now