Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possible 5 weeks pregnant and so many questions

(10 Posts)
chloelouise291212 Sun 02-Mar-14 14:25:29

My last period was on 20/01/2014 bearing in mind they are always 5 days out either before or after, I got put on antibiotics around this time also I have been taking cerazette. My partner noticed a few days ago I am late so bought 2 cheap tests from poundland thinking nothing of it and they are positive I am sending a urine sample to the doctors and will get a result on Tuesday but everyone is saying including parents the doctor and a nurse who is a family member I possible more than likely are pregnant and about 5 weeks in as he antibiotics would or cancelled out the pill.

Now I have so many questions!? Could they both be false. When's the first scan. My dad has spoke about options but not abortion what could they be. What's the best pram. When does the baby move from Moses basket to cot. How do I child safe wires. What is labor like. Will I need stitches. What is afterbirth. Honestly I have a million questions running through my head never off google.

I am 18 partner is 22 both sets of parents know.

somedizzywhore1804 Sun 02-Mar-14 14:35:23

First up, the tests are very unlikely to be wrong. So you need to decide first of all if you want the baby.

18 is really young and I don't think I could have done it at your age, but plenty do and I know loads of women who made good mothers when they were young. Think about your relationship- is it long term ... Is he supportive, do you see yourself with him for the rest of your life? Do you have good support networks from your families etc?

In terms of abortion the sooner the better is the case with that so if you want one you need to see your GP or go to a clinic ASAP.

If you decide to keep the baby you also need to see your GP so you can get registered with the midwife. First scan at 12 weeks.

The rest of it is just logistics- you'll pick that all up along the way. First things first.

chloelouise291212 Sun 02-Mar-14 14:48:44

We have spoke it through and we have decided to keep the baby I have been with my partner for 15 months loving together for 9 months so long term my family are of course shocked but very supportive as I live in a different county I'm going to meet my dad on the 15th so me and him can talk everything through and he can get an understanding abortion is not on the cards at all, I realise it is young but I have looked after my younger brother who is autistic and took a motherly role (my mum went mad all the time lol) and I have trained etc to be a nursery I know this is nothing to being an actual parent my partners family is over supportive having to ask them to take a bit more of a back seat at this moment in time, my partner didn't work but now does I told him on the 28th about the tests and he went and got work yesterday.

To add to the original topic I have just looked back through messages and it turns out my last period started on the 16/01/2014 till the 20/01/2014 so nhs says I would be 6 week by now.

ladythatlunches Sun 02-Mar-14 16:46:00

I had my first baby at 18 smile was scarey but he is now 11 me and my dh still together.

I found it great loved every minute.

you do have you grow up quickly and find you loose a lot of friends, but I wouldn't change him for the world

MyNameIsKenAdams Sun 02-Mar-14 16:52:42

Hi OP. I am also six weeks, and am about to notify the doctors and I see tgat you have done that which is great.

If you wish to continue with the pregnancy, please start taking Folic Acid. It cam be bought very cheaply from boots and is an essential pregnancy vitamin for the firsttrimester.

Mumsnet will be so helpful in answering those questions with time, but focus on where you are at now til you get past that 12 week mark

If it hasnt come yet, tiredness and nausea will probably rear theor head soon, so rest up, eat as and when and what you can, and try and keep any stress and physocal strain to a minimum.

Good luck

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Sun 02-Mar-14 17:12:53

Hi smile

I'm 19 and 32 weeks pregnant, the dad is my boyfriend of 3 years. Just wanted to say, if you do have any questions about pregnancy etc, feel free to ask.

As for the 'options' your dad was talking about, he may or may not include abortion in those. When I found out I was pg I was 7 weeks along, and saw myself as having 3 options - abortion, relinquishing the baby for adoption, and keeping it. I toyed with the idea of abortion for a long time. I spoke to people on mumsnet who told me some truths about the reality of relinquishing a baby for adoption (it is very rarely done in this country). In the end, we decided to keep the baby. At the end of the day it is no-one's decision but yours legally; if you choose to include the dad in that decision it's up to you.

First scan will be at 12 weeks, but you need to see a midwife first; your GP will probably arrange this when your results come back. She can answer a lot of your questions - also BPAS (British Pregnancy Advisory Service) have some good advice, and Tommy's the charity (find them online) do a great book for pregnant 16-19 year olds, it answered a lot of the questions I had.

Finding out I was pregnant was one of the scariest times in my life and a total shock to the system. There's so many questions and it does get so confusing but it gets easier to understand when you start getting answers and taking things one step at a time.

chloelouise291212 Mon 03-Mar-14 09:25:19

Well I've sent the sample off today will know for deffinate tomorrow. Keep getting small twinges sometimes a little painful in very bottom of my stomach like period pain along with butterflies this might be TMI but last night there was like a white milk discharge down there is this normal? Must admit was awake most of last night feeling sick but not being able to all I could do was burp then I suddenly got extremely hungry.

Sorry If I'm saying too much but my family are 22 miles away and are all at work so takes a while to get some sort of reply off them.

eurochick Mon 03-Mar-14 14:05:53

The test the drs use detect the same hormone as the home test, so the result is unlikely to be different.

A lot of your questions can be put on hold for a while. You don't need to worry about childproofing a house until your baby is mobile, which is a very long way off!

The first step will be to "book in" the pregnancy to get you into the system. In some areas you have a GP appointment to do this, in others you can self-refer to the midwifery team. You'll then have a long appointment where they take blood pressure and blood and urine samples, and go through your medical history and any problems you might have. The next step will be a scan at around 11-13 weeks.

The milky discharge is completely normal.

Mogz Mon 03-Mar-14 17:03:36

You've ha some great advice already, just wanted to add that nothing is tmi on the pregnancy boards. Pregnancy has a whole host of weird and wonderful side effects and we're all here to support each other and talk about discharge, piles, stretch marks and sickness! Don't worry though, it's rare to get all of that ;-p

Mumof3xx Mon 03-Mar-14 17:06:55

Congratulations op!

Unplanned and first pregnancies can be scary regardless of your age!

Mn is a great place to ask questions though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now