Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If my baby is breech tomorrow at 37 week scan, what then? Dc3

(15 Posts)
Sillylass79 Sun 02-Mar-14 12:19:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

isisisis Sun 02-Mar-14 13:08:46

Any help here? spinning babies
Probably a bit late for the exercises but some of the info & video of a breech birth looked interesting. DD was breech at one point but moved, don't think I fancied a ECV but never got as far as deciding what I would do.
As an 'experienced' mother are you thinking breech vaginal birth or ELCS?

Sillylass79 Sun 02-Mar-14 13:21:08

Inglori0us Sun 02-Mar-14 13:41:24

I reckon I'll try the EVC after my 37 week scan if he hasn't moved. Been breech since 26 weeks. Lots of twisting but no flipping!
I really want to avoid a section if I can as I have a 1yr old at home.
Apparently hypnosis can help them turn. Don't know how but I'm willing to try anything.
My consultant said around 70% of breech babies will turn naturally. My baby is a whopper so I'm not sure how much room he has!!

Notrightnowww Sun 02-Mar-14 13:48:59

Have you thought about moxibustion and acupuncture? They can also help an ECV be successful, apparently, as they relax the uterus and give space for the baby to turn. Theoretically!

isisisis Sun 02-Mar-14 13:51:05

Could you have a plan A & plan B? Eg ELCS booked for 39-40 wks but scan on the day to confirm presentation & if they're favourable to go home & wait for natural birth?
You said this happened with your previous 2, had they turned by this point? Any chance this is just what you 'do' & this one will flip like they did? I' think the normal success rate of ECV is about 50%, It'd be worth asking if they think it would be successful in your case anyway (obviously it would be a best guess) but if they felt it would/wouldn't be successful it might make your decision for you.

Sillylass79 Sun 02-Mar-14 13:55:04

mrsmugoo Sun 02-Mar-14 14:26:14

This was me last week.

Already tried moxibustion, all the spinning babies postures, hypnotherapy etc...I knew baby had been in the same position since about 28 weeks.

I was sent for a presentation scan that confirmed breech position then booked in for a consultant appt and given the choice between vaginal breech birth, ECV or ELCS. I choose ECV (which didn't work) and have now been booked in for ELCS.

They will scan me again before they do the section, but I know this baby ain't moving!

Sillylass79 Sun 02-Mar-14 14:31:47

mrsmugoo Mon 03-Mar-14 10:34:42

Not sugar coating it, the ECV was deeply unpleasant and very painful.

A female registrar had a go and couldn't get the baby's bottom out of my pelvis. A male consultant who was physically bigger and stronger managed to get the baby to transverse but it flopped back, twice.

I am covered in bruises and finger marks all over the bump and still feel tender now, 4 days after.

This happened 37+3. I'm waiting to hear on exact date of ELCS (expecting info to come through today)but it will be next week which is my 39th week.

hubbahubster Mon 03-Mar-14 13:25:09

As someone who's had an ELCS, it's not that bad. V different to an EMCS (I'm guessing!) as you won't have laboured for hours beforehand. As it's booked for a specific day, you'll be able to make arrangements for other DC in advance, and recovery was fine - I was walking round Tesco with DS over my shoulder three days afterwards.

So if baby doesn't turn, please don't dread the CS.

MrMacadoo Mon 03-Mar-14 13:35:26

my baby was breech the whole way through. I declined an ECV after reading up on it and deciding it wasn't for me. I had an ELCS which was amazing. Currently pg with DC2 and have opted for VBAC this time but I would have no qualms about having another CS. Agree with pp who suggested a plan a and b and seeing how it pans out. Wishing you all the best

littone Mon 03-Mar-14 14:50:50

A different experience of ECV here. Baby was turned very quickly with no pain, marks on tummy or bruises. Once consultant happy she was head down, she gave her a big pat on the bottom which engaged her head so she couldn't move again. Had successful natural delivery.

Sillylass79 Tue 04-Mar-14 13:27:39

isisisis Tue 04-Mar-14 16:55:26

Excellent! You're good to go then, hope everything goes well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now