Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

travel by train / car at 34 weeks

(7 Posts)
honeyharris Sun 02-Mar-14 11:03:24

Hi,

I've planned to go down from Stirling to Stockportnto see friends but will be 34 weeks pregnant by then, and am now wondering whether it's a bad idea?I was originally going to do both legs of the journey by train, but now prices have gone up I'm looking at getting train down (5 hours) then getting husband to drive down the following day, stay overnight then he will drive us both back up. Oher alternative is for him to drive us both ways but that's dependent on some bwork we're having done on the house being finishef on time (the work being part of the reason for my journey as I wanted to be out of the way to avoid the dust and disruption). Really not sure what to do for the best - is it too far at that stage of pregnancy? Husband is not keen at all on me drivingalone as its a 4 hour drive so don't think that's an option.

weebairn Sun 02-Mar-14 11:06:12

I visited a friend at 36 weeks pregnant, it was 3 hours by train each way, one night overnight. I was a little bit anxious! But it was fine. Lovely to get away and have the break. I took my maternity notes!

I wouldn't drive myself.

vestandknickers Sun 02-Mar-14 11:08:24

You'll be fine!

I had twins with my second pregnancy and was happily travelling around until they were born.

Just check out where the toilets are - you'll need a lot of comforts breaks!

mrsmugoo Sun 02-Mar-14 11:15:46

I did a 5 hour train journey babymoon at 34/35 weeks pregnant.

Just take your notes, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cric Sun 02-Mar-14 11:27:35

I went on a 4 hour drive at 34 weeks and it took us over 8 hours in the end due to motorway crash, came home the next day and all was fine! Enjoy some time with your friends smile

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 02-Mar-14 11:49:18

You'll be fine unless you have complications like spd. I did 3.5 hours by car each way last week at 33 weeks.

And I forgot my notes. But it is dc3wink

LastOneDancing Sun 02-Mar-14 11:53:54

I get quite bad braxton hicks after more than about 1.5 hours in the car - being squashed up I guess - so given the choice I'd take the train (I'm 35 weeks). Plus you can have a coffee, read a book... Ah! Bliss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now