Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tightenings at 16 weeks. Terrified.

(5 Posts)
JustDanni Sat 01-Mar-14 20:05:12

I'm currently 16 weeks along and have recently been having strange twinges and tightenings in my belly.
I originally thought it was ligament pain from growing but it has gotten worse and more frequent since I have returned to work after being off due to hyperemesis. I have also noticed that the area that I feel the tightenings on goes firm to prod.
Having a seat for a while seems to help for a while but the discomfort usually returns after a while.
This being my first pregnancy, I am not sure what is "normal" and what isn't.

I have an appointment with a consultant on Tuesday and I shall discuss it then but I'm still curious if anyone knows what's going on. sad

PuntCuffin Sat 01-Mar-14 20:08:54

Sounds like you may be having Braxton Hicks contractions. Or more accurately, that you are aware of them. They happen throughout pregnancy but not all women notice them or find them uncomfortable. I noticed them from about 16 weeks with my first and a little later with my second. Definitely worth mentioning to your midwife/consultant if they seem to come on with stress. Make sure you drink plenty too, dehydration seems to make them worse.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 01-Mar-14 20:09:58

All kinds of weird feelings happen during pregnancy. At this stage, most will be down to stretching and loosening. At about 16 weeks, I started to get incredibly sharp sudden pains in one side under my ribs. It was nothing. First pregnancy is so hard because it's impossible to know what normal feels like.
So basically- don't panic, all is very likely to be fine, but as is always the advice- follow your gut and if you think something isn't right, get yourself down to triage.
These things can also be a sign that you need to take things a bit easier!

sesw Sat 01-Mar-14 20:10:29

Yeah I had Braxton hicks from 14 weeks on wards with both pregnancies. Most people have no idea what you are talking about as they don't feel them. It usually meant I was dehydrated or over doing it, or post coital! Very disconcerting that last one was!

JustDanni Sat 01-Mar-14 20:35:05

I honnestly thought it would be too early for braxtonhicks.
Trying to stay positive. Not having any bleeding so I suppose it's not much to worry about. Looks like I might be moved departments sooner than expected lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now