Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much paternity leave will your dp/dh take?

(44 Posts)
Mummytobe2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:41:52

Hi all, my dp had planned on taking two/three weeks from when baby was born however he has just been offered and accepted a new job which is better all round and i completely support as it means no more night shifts! But he starts his new job on 17th march and my due date is 10th march so if baby arrives on time he will have one week and if baby late then possibly no time atall at home. I will have support from my mum etc...
So i was just wondering what your other halves will be doing?

cathpip Sat 01-Mar-14 19:44:04

Same here, dh starting new job on Monday. I'm due beginning of April, dh can only take a week, my sisters are on standby as this is dc3, I'm having a section and it's the Easter holidays!!

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 19:45:22

dh didnt take paternity leave but did take 2 weeks annual leave. Paternity pay would not have paid the mortgage tbh.

MissSlackPants84 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:46:11

My other half can only take one week. Hes trying to take the 2nd as annual leave however he's in a managerial night shift position which is difficult to get cover for.

KiwiBanana Sat 01-Mar-14 19:46:38

DP is self em

redcaryellowcar Sat 01-Mar-14 19:47:39

dh taking two weeks, he is lucky his company are very supportive with leave, but he has been there a while. tbh if i could choice between dh and my dmum i would on a practical level prefer my mum as she just gets on with the may to day stuff, but from a building family pov i realise its good to have dh around!

KiwiBanana Sat 01-Mar-14 19:47:40

Whoops, posted too soon.
He's self employed so will have to play it by ear. It might just be a few days but hopefully at least a week.

MrsDavidBowie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:48:42

Mine took a day grin

eurochick Sat 01-Mar-14 19:51:23

Probably the initial 2 weeks, but then we planned to use the shared parental leave laws, so he will probably take 3-4 months after I go back so between us we take care of centime for 7-8 months before we use childcare.

Mummytobe2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:52:41

Dp would have taken annual leave too not paternity sorry, your right it wouldnt pay mortgage lol.
This is my first baby and wld of course love dp to be around but happy for mum to help out :-)
I think if he had of been at new place a while taking hol wld be fine but he cant start and then take a week as the first three months are intensive training, obviously hw will be present at birth (i hope lol)
It seems one week is fairly average and i hope he gets this at least but there is a chance he wont get even a week.

Mummytobe2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:54:04

Mrsdavidbowie was that your first baby, did you find it ok being on ur own so quickly?

MrsDavidBowie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:57:51

First.
With second he had 3 days.
No family either.

He has his own company so couldn't just drop everything...however he was home by 4 most days.

Chipandspuds Sat 01-Mar-14 20:01:53

DH had started a new job about 4 months before DS was born so he took two weeks annual leave instead of paternity leave as statutory paternity pay isn't much. I would say it was fine for DH going back to work after two weeks, but the hard bit for me was that DH was gone for 12 hours a day x 5 days a week and I had no family near by to help. I think it will be easier when I have another baby as I'll have more confidence in myself!

Strongecoffeeismydrug Sat 01-Mar-14 20:03:28

First baby I had stitches, forceps the works and DH could only have a week as he had only been working for the company a fortnight.
Second baby I had a ELCS and he had a fortnight which was nice as it gave me lots of time to rest.
Third baby he's still off ( having a month) as it's our last and he wanted to have as much family time as he could take.i had a ELCS again so even tho I was fine after a few days it's been lovely having him around so I can soak in the bath and rest, however I could have easily managed after a week all three times grin

didireallysaythat Sat 01-Mar-14 20:03:30

Mummy I don't want to rain on your parade but have you checked with his new employer that he's entitled ? I had DS1 when DH was 6 months into a new job and he wasn't entitled to any paternity leave - he needed to be employed with them at the time of conception. This is 6 years ago though so things may have changed.

mrsbug Sat 01-Mar-14 20:03:36

Dp took the two weeks paternity leave when dd was born, but she was born just before Xmas so it was closer to three weeks with the bank holidays. I was in hospital for the first week though.
I then transferred a month of leave to him at the end of my maternity leave

Mummytobe2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:08:37

my dp used to be self employed so totally understand that!
Chipsandspuds i can see how that wld be difficult for you without him for twelve hrs a day, thats a long day. Currently my dp does twelve hr night shifts but when he moves his training hrs will be 8-4 mon to fri so he will be home in the eve and mum has said if i need her she will take holiday to help me out. Guess its just a bit daunting being first timer alone but am completely in agreement with dp moving jobs as its better in the long run.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 01-Mar-14 20:12:28

if he starts a new job then he wont actually qualify for paternity leave/pay so would have to use annual leave/ employer goodwill to get time off

Mummytobe2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:13:29

Didireallysaythat sorry i probably havent explained fully, my dp is now working his notice but tonight is his last shift he will then take holiday owed to him from current company, this takes him to the 17th at which point he will start his new job and wont be able to take anytime off (paternity or annual leave) apart from the birth so we are hoping baby doesnt come late (wishful thinking)

pettyprudence Sat 01-Mar-14 20:23:10

with dc1 dh missed the birth and had just started a new job so no paternity leave. he took 1 day off after the birth and another day the following week when I came down with mastitis. no family nearby although my mum tried to visit as much as she could.
dc2 arrived last week - dh almost had to deliver her! this time he has 2 weeks leave and I have needed him here to look after dc1.

SweetPea86 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:26:23

My hubby starts a new job next week I'm due April so won't be allowed to take leave. Lucky it's 10 mins down the road and my mam will help me. Was really looking forward to his time off but never mind

Mummytobe2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:26:47

Pettyprudence did you find it ok being on your own so soon?
It sounds like your dh made up for missing first by nearly delivering the second, bet that was pretty scary but lovely at the same time!

Mummytobe2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:29:48

Sweetpea sounds similar to me then, we had hoped for time but it may not be possible. My mum is ten mins away too so guess we are lucky in that sense plus my brother is round the corner with his gf altho she is iritating they have two little girls so wld still be support if needed

Blondieminx Sat 01-Mar-14 20:33:27

DH took the full 2 weeks paternity leave with our one and only DD, then a couple of days annual leave on top. He bought me Brie sandwiches while i snuggled DD on the sofa getting bf established!

current ACAS guide to paternity entitlement here - including details of the increase as of April 2014

ikeaismylocal Sat 01-Mar-14 20:40:34

I'm not in the UK, dads are entitled to the same as mums in the country we live in.

Dp will take a month when this baby is born and then 9 months ( when the baby is 9-18 months) I'll take the first 9 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now