Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Colostrum at 23 weeks - what do I do ? TMI alert !

(10 Posts)
eepie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:37:57

I'm 23 weeks pregnant with my first baby -- kind of embarrassing question in fact so much so that I can't face asking my doctor or MW right now...but I noticed this morning that my nipples had some slight build up of neutral/yellowy coloured stuff right on the tips kind of "in" the tip - it looked like it was blocking my nipple...if that makes sense. I guess this is maybe colostrum starting...underneath the firm yellowy stuff it was a bit wet looking and I just felt I should sort of brush my nipple to remove the colostrum or whatever it was...it was quite tender/sore and then I thought maybe I shouldn't have touched them and should have just left it !

I then just put some natural stretch mark oil all over after that, but it made me think if more colostrum builds up/I start leaking - what's the best way to deal with that for the health of your nipples/ducts ? Totally clueless here - sorry if TMI and silly question !

rubyslippers Sat 01-Mar-14 19:39:55

It's fine - your body is prepping for your baby

If it really starts leaking then use breast pads

Don't be embarrassed re asking your MW/ they have seen and heard it all before

coffetofunction Sat 01-Mar-14 19:40:33

I leaked from about 26 weeks with my last two. I have no real advice but would like to watch this feed...

Good luck smile

mummytobejuly2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:41:44

im 22wks & had this this morning, freaked me out too :s

5madthings Sat 01-Mar-14 19:42:52

its normal i leaked colostrum from very early in with all mine and i did have to wear breast pads as otherwise i got wet patches on my tops.

and yes it can dry and be a bit crusty on your nipples, just wash it off in the shower.

Queenofthedrivensnow Sat 01-Mar-14 19:42:55

I remember that from being pg with dd1. It progressed to leaking boobs quite soon I'm afraid and I needed pads. Maybe it's a good sign though both my babies latched on instantly :-)

BartBaby Sat 01-Mar-14 19:50:38

Theres nothing much you need to do apart from as ruby said if they leak a lot just use some breast pads. They often do get sore or sensitive and its nothing to worry about it. If they start to crack ive heard Lansinoh cream is very good. I have some ready just incase. Please dont be embarrassed about it. By the time you have had your little one there is plenty worse for you to deal with grin

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 01-Mar-14 20:16:00

Totally normal. I used to wake up every morning looking luge several snails had wandered across my chest. Keep some pads with you.
You may have to get over your embarrassment though! If you're planning to bf, you'll have to get your tits out in all sorts of situations. Plus child birth isn't without it's indignities...

JustDanni Sun 02-Mar-14 22:42:49

Im only 16 weeks and have been noticing yellow/white crumbs in the pores of my nipples.
Also leaking a clear oily fluid (more so at night when im not wearing a bra to bed)

I was told it's totally normal and some start earlier than others.
As long as you don't have a strong stinging or burning sensation In one or both breasts that could indicate infection or blockages. But if you have those, apparently you will soon know all about it.

eepie Tue 04-Mar-14 20:50:55

Thanks everyone - very reassuring ! I think I will just leave my boobs alone and gently wash off anything that I discover has leaked in the morning. Thanks for sharing your experiences - good to hear that it's normal !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now