Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Kindle for reading during breastfeeding ?

(27 Posts)
eepie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:29:27

I am wondering whether it's worth getting a Kindle as I have been reading more during my pregnancy but don't always find it comfortable to hold books in certain positions for long periods of time - but the other main reason is that I thought it might be good for when breastfeeding as I don't really watch lots of TV and am not a box-set sort of person (maybe I'll grow to be!) -- BUT will I even be able to concentrate on reading whilst breastfeeding or will I be in a different kind of zone? I'm not sure but I've heard women say they go into a kind of super relaxed state during breastfeeding sometimes or if you're already sleep deprived maybe concentrating on reading is a bit much/bound to make you drop off !

thanks in advance smile

onceipopicantstop Sat 01-Mar-14 19:33:40

I think it's a great idea and have been thinking about doing the same - dc2 due anyday. Last time I tended to watch tv when feeding during the day, but started reading with the overnight feeds to try and keep myself awake! I was worried that I would nod off and drop the baby! But it's difficult to turn the pages when one arm is out of use!! So a kindle would be ideal.

HolyDrinker Sat 01-Mar-14 19:34:08

Yes! Get a paperwhite so you can read it in the dark during night feeds. I couldn't live without mine. It's light enough to hold in one hand and I bought a case with an elastic sort of handle to slip over your fingers so it's easier to hold. Will try and link.

NutellaStraightFromTheJar Sat 01-Mar-14 19:36:09

Definitely do it! My kindle kept me sane during night feeds with my marathon feeder ds. It was actually really nice to feel like I was still doing something just for me.

RNJ3007 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:36:13

Good idea.

I have the kindle app on my phone for that very reason!

MimsyBorogroves Sat 01-Mar-14 19:36:43

Do it! I got one for Christmas just after the birth of DS2. It's one of the greatest things I've ever received - it's used for at least 2 hours every day now DS is 2 (he still naps on my knee, so that's kindle time!) and in the early days (and nights) it was on most of the time. It saved my sanity. I'm not one for watching tv, so I downloaded a range of stuff from decent well written books to trashy chick lit for when my brain wasn't working.

the kindle also spared DS2 the same experiences as DS1 in the early days...poor DS1 had any number of books dropped on his head

HolyDrinker Sat 01-Mar-14 19:37:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eepie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:43:50

Thanks guys that's great !! I think I'll definitely go ahead and get one as got holiday coming up soon too and yes I was also thinking Paperwhite as someone mentioned and I thought the light would be good for night feeds too. As someone else also mentoned - I like the idea of having the feeling that I'm still doing something sort of grown up 'for me' whilst breastfeeding - as lovely as I'm sure breastfeeding I can imagine there'd be times in the early days when you just feel like a milk machine ! ha.

eepie Sat 01-Mar-14 19:44:46

Thanks HolyDrinker that case looks great too !

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 01-Mar-14 19:46:35

Great idea smile I got a Nook because you can borrow library books on it for free.

Indith Sat 01-Mar-14 19:49:01

What I loved when ds2 was tiny was that you can change the font size. With a nice big font size you can still keep track on the page when standing up and rocking grin . The ability to throw your book down without losingthe page to hold baby over floor not sofa when a mega vomit is coming is also good.

Petal26 Sat 01-Mar-14 19:49:06

Definitely do it, my excuse for getting one was not having two hands free and being able to turn the page on a book :-) That and the fact that if I was trying to feed her to sleep in the evenings when she was older the noise of turning a page would disturb her feed and wake her back up!

Do it. I read a lot and when Ds was born he was very very clingy and would only sleep on me. I was going out of my mind with boredom watching tv so Dp bought me a kindle. It was by far the best thing I had as a new mum.

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 01-Mar-14 19:50:48

Do it! Dh bought me a kindle for Christmas when dc1 was 9 months old; I wish I had got one before she was born. I struggled to read books one-handed but as soon as I got my kindle that problem was solved. It was a lifesaver during night feeds when dc2 came along.

<reminds self to cut down on mn and get kindle out instead>

KingR0llo Sat 01-Mar-14 19:53:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scottishmummy Sat 01-Mar-14 19:53:41

Yes fireHD is great.get a backlight one fir wee small hours

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 01-Mar-14 19:54:05

Also, I got a case that has a stand at the back- so it can be hands free, apart from pressing the button to turn the page smile

mrsbug Sat 01-Mar-14 19:57:00

I got a tablet instead, you can read books on it or surf the net

herecomesthsun Sat 01-Mar-14 19:58:08

aah, my husband got me one with that in mind! although I like it very much, I didn't use it as much as he had thought I would bfing

BonaDea Sat 01-Mar-14 19:58:21

Yup. I still use mine all the time when feeding DS who is nearly 1! Lighter than a book and easier to handle / turn pages with one hand.

Shroomboom Sat 01-Mar-14 20:14:59

It's a great idea, definitely get the paperwhite though. I use mine quite a bit whilst feeding dd (5 weeks) but I don't tend to use it during the night as I like to keep things dark for her. DD doesn't cluster feed in the evenings, but ds did and I got through so many books sat feeding him!
I don't know anything about the FireHD but one of the advantages with a more basic kindle is that you can hold it at an angle (eg for feeding lying down) and the words stay the same way up, rather than swivelling round like an iPad would.

Norfolknway Sat 01-Mar-14 20:20:34

100% yes. Get one x

weebairn Sun 02-Mar-14 17:02:49

I read hundreds and hundreds of books on my last maternity leave, mostly while breastfeeding or while DD slept on me. It was great.

This time DP went out and bought me a Kindle when I showed him the pregnancy test. He is a sweetie smile It is a Kindle Fire and you can use the internet on it too, I've been watching things on iPlayer. Might not be as much reading this time round with a toddler on hand though! (Though she does still nap!)

CrepeFoofette Sun 02-Mar-14 17:23:37

I bought a paperwhite yesterday for this exact purpose. Go for it!

enormouse Sun 02-Mar-14 17:29:20

I love my kindle fire for this exact reason, plus I can use it for web browsing too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now