Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Toe nail fungal thing when pregnant

(6 Posts)
smearedinfood Sat 01-Mar-14 14:55:33

I had a pedicure and when I took the nail polish off it looked like my large toenails were all scratched. The chemist said yeah it is a fungus but can't give me anything for it because I'm pregnant. So I have to see a gp. Do you think I can do anything in the meantime?

Breakage Sat 01-Mar-14 15:01:38

If you promise not to laugh I'll tell you the only thing that has helped my nasty fungus invested toenails - the stuff they sell ion the chemist doesn't work IME, even the packaging says it will take 12 mths plus.

Rub Vicks into and around the toenail twice a day. A marked improvement with in 3 weeks. (I think you can use Vicks in pregnancy?)

CleverWittyUsername Sat 01-Mar-14 15:46:13

I have similar and I have found that thanks to the folic acid my gross fungussy toenail is growing out fine by itself. I had been using a treatment before I fell pregnant so I think that must have killed it initially and now the folic acid is helping healthy nail come through. However the treatment I used didn't say it was unsafe for pregnancy, it was from a herbal type shop as the chemist stuff has never worked for me.

PartyConfused Sat 01-Mar-14 15:50:31

I have had a fungal nail infections for about 10byears blush. You can't really use anything during pregnancy, but I did use vicks and it heped a lot. It actually seemed to have gone after the pregnancy. Three months later it was back hmm. Bloody hate it.

smearedinfood Sat 01-Mar-14 17:42:27

Vicks it is until I can get an appointment. wink

plutarch14 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:45:25

Tea tree oil is also a powerful antifungal. Put the neat oil on the nail at night. All antifungals take a while to fix it though, because the whole nail has to grow out, so don't worry if you don't see an immediate improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now