Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did you have to do a fasting blood test in early pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
lighteningmcmama Sat 01-Mar-14 13:46:09

I knew about the GTT but I've also been told I have to do a fasting blood test now too (am c8w). I didn't have to do this last time. I know I'm in at an risk group for GD but I thought the GTT was the main test for this at 24w. Not looking forward to doing it while feeling sick...

KatAndKit Sat 01-Mar-14 13:48:31

Its not routine, the normal bloods at 8 weeks don't need to be fasting. Perhaps worth checking with your midwife why you are being asked to do one so early?

Cariad007 Sat 01-Mar-14 13:49:02

Yes I had one at around 11 weeks. It was fine - fasted overnight, went in for the test at 9am, left the hospital by 9.15. There was no hanging around like with the GTT.

lighteningmcmama Sat 01-Mar-14 13:59:59

I did mention I didn't have to do it before she just said something about everything's changed now...

She did say no waiting around as with gtt though

Cariad007 Sat 01-Mar-14 14:01:58

Just make sure your appointment is first thing in the morning and you'll be fine.

lighteningmcmama Sat 01-Mar-14 14:29:41

Thank you. It is first thing, but I feel worse in the morning and feel slightly better after eating something, not being able to do that will be a pain (literally). I guess I just have to get on with it. Thanks.

SellyMevs Sat 01-Mar-14 14:56:33

I had one at about 12 weeks. My GP referred me as I had really high levels of glucose in my urine. I wouldn't have been classed as high risk for GD, but my fasting came back normal. I've been told I need to get my urine checked regularly and if it shows high glucose again, I'll need a GTT. My GP keeps reassuring me that glucose in the urine doesn't always mean GD. It can be a normal pregnancy thing. At least they are keeping an eye on it for you.

hubbahubster Sat 01-Mar-14 22:25:16

I had borderline GD in my last pg and was only told I'd need a GTT from 16 weeks. Never heard of having a test so early! Do you have a family history of diabetes?

lighteningmcmama Sat 01-Mar-14 23:19:58

Both previous pregnancies GTTs were fine, and she says today at booking in that my urine was fine too apart from being too concentrated from dehydration. my mum is type 2 diabetic and I'm from a high risk ethnic group. I definitely get the need for a gtt later on but just never heard of it so early. It's good to know it's not uncommon though, so thank you everyone.

Bunbaker Sat 01-Mar-14 23:25:16

I never had a GTT test while pregnant. Is it more commonplace now? (DD is 13 BTW)

lighteningmcmama Sun 02-Mar-14 12:40:16

It's not routine, it's just offered to high risk groups, such as Asian ethnic origin, older mamas (i think it's 35+ but not certain), previous GD, and I think also obesity or diabetes in the family. My niece is 14 and I'm.pretty sure my sister had a gtt because of falling into a risk group.

Cariad007 Sun 02-Mar-14 14:15:01

Yep, I had to have both tests has my mum is diabetic. Fortunately I never got GD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now