Talk

Advanced search

Anti-sickness drugs ... experiences please.

(8 Posts)
Sahkoora Sat 01-Mar-14 11:36:54

I posted on Monday about cyclizine not having much of an effect and feeling unbearably sick. I was prescribed it last Friday and started taking 3 a day on Saturday. Tuesday things were a little better, Wednesday better again, and now (Sat) I feel pretty good. I wasn't sick at all today, not even gagging when i woke up.

I was on it when pg with DS2 after a hospital stay at 6wks with HG, and I don't remember it working this well. I was always sick first thing in the morning, and still felt tired etc.

I'm also using travel sickness bands at Vit B1 this time though.

Really scared this is a loss of symptoms.

What I'd like to know is cyclizine cumulative? I mean that would I feel the full effect as soon as I started taking it, or would it get better and better the more days i took it??

I'll be 7 weeks on Monday.

riksti Sat 01-Mar-14 11:39:27

I was told cyclizine is cumulative when I started taking it. Not sure I ever noticed it myself although it did help a bit at reducing the number of times I actually had to run to the toilet. Still felt sick all the time while taking it.

BartBaby Sat 01-Mar-14 12:52:18

I'm 34 weeks and have just been into hospital partly due to being sick and they prescribed cyclizine to stop me being sick, and it worked pretty quickly so must have a quick result

MrsMonkeyBear Sat 01-Mar-14 14:47:12

I'm on domperidone, which is a bit different to the one you are on. Domperidone works by helping empty your stomach quicker. It works within 30 mins of taking it, and lasts for about 6-8 hours. I've been taking it for 2 years for another issue but have been allowed to continue during my pregnancy. It has limited side effects, and can also be purchased over the counter under the brand name motillium. So great in emergencies.

CleverWittyUsername Sat 01-Mar-14 15:49:46

I have just been given Phenergan and the doc told me it would work instantly, which I didn't believe. But it did work so fast and for the first time in a week I have managed to eat and keep fluids down.

LavenderFox Sat 01-Mar-14 19:44:43

It sounds like you are lucky, and sickness is often easier in consecutive pregnancies. Although mine wasn't but nevermind.... Cyclizine helped me for about three hours at a time which made it nine out of about 16 hours of being awake....

Sahkoora Sat 01-Mar-14 20:20:54

Thanks for all your replies. Have spent all afternoon feeling sick as a dog, so I think my worries were groundless. Bleugh.

Really hate pregnancy, definitely my last DC!

JustDanni Sat 01-Mar-14 20:56:37

I was prescribed Cyclazine for my my hyperemesis and it only worked a few hours before wearing off. I was then given Ondansatron too and that worked wonders for the sickness but I ended up heavily constipated and had to be taken off of it to avoid any more problems.

I would definitely recommend Ondansatron if your doc is happy to prescribe it. But be sure to ask about side effects and possible complications linked with the drug. You may feel the cons outweigh the pro's
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now