Experience of induction by breaking waters?(5 Posts)
After an EMCS last time due to DD being undiagnosed breech, I'm hoping for a VBAC this time. I was convinced that I would go into labour naturally and early as I did with DD but due date is tomorrow. The plan proposed by my consultant if I don't go into labour naturally is to assess me on Friday (40+5) and if my cervix is favourable then induce by breaking waters. They won't use pessary, gel or drip due to the previous c section. I was fine with this approach but having read more about it I'm having doubts. From what I've read it is not really a recommended way of induction and the chances of labouring successfully are lowered as I might go straight into very painful rapid contractions. in addition a friend who gave birth recently had her waters broken to try and progress labour and things spiralled out of control at that point for her resulting in an EMCS.
So wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on the matter? my alternative is to wait until the following week and be booked in for a planned section.
I don't know how my experience will compare but thought I'd share it anyway. I had this with dc 1. They had already tried 3 pessaries which didn't work so they were prepping me for a section but I said I really didn't want one so they agreed to a trial off Labour with this method. I had an epidural and syntocin on a drip too. So my body was artificially forced into labor. Dc1 was born about 12 hours later though it was in theatre and a forceps delivery. I was just glad not to have had a section though.
With my ds my labour wasnt progressing very quickly and they broke my waters to speed things up. I agree in that the contractions became almost unbearable immediately after, but it did speed things up. I went down the route of an epidural which i was expecting to anyway. My waters were broken at 4.30pm, and ds was delivered with forceps at 1.50am. I imagine it would have been a lot longer if they hadn't broken them. I would do it again this time round aswell if needed.
Thanks both, useful to hear your experiences... I'm starting to veer towards a planned section as 'better the devil I know'... I had a very positive CS experience last time (despite it being quite a shock) and good recovery. I'm just not sure how well I would cope with rapid onset hectic contractions and I don't want to end up with a panicky instrumental delivery or worse panicky EMCS when I could have a nice calm one. So difficult to decide
what happened to me with my daughter
my waters were broke and I was in labour an had an epidural and 10 hours later an emcs
but with my son I was in labour for 24 hours after gel and pessary and had a normal birth
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.