Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unexpected pregnancy at 40...

(5 Posts)
maia11 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:57:44

Hi there. I am 39 (will be 40 when it comes along) have recently found out I am 3 months pregnant with my first child. Of course I am delighted and ecstatic for the future - I thought I was never going to start a family due to my age and trouble finding Mr. Right.

A few things though, I am not married to the father, nor do I actually live with him. Our relationship is far from serious as we've only been together for 5 months, and we've done 'it' for the first time, which has resulted in a pregnancy.

I told him I was expecting our first child, and not surprisingly was he shocked because of our unique circumstances. We discussed abortion and adoption, and how we would raise a baby if we were to keep it. We even thought about moving in together, though we aren't even ready to do that let alone have children together!.

When I google unwed parents, or unexpected pregnancies or the like, it comes up with teenage pregnancies, and if I look at unexpected pregnancies in your 30's/40's, it comes up with parents who have teenagers that are expecting children, So I was just wondering if anyone is in a similar position as me?

Suzanne73 Sat 01-Mar-14 03:47:16

I am in a similar situation. I am 35 weeks pregnant. I was with my ex partner for 18 months. I am 40 he is 55. We were going to move in together, wedding was booked and we had decided to try for a baby. I was due to move in to his when he changed his mind. I had given up my tenancy and was then homeless with my 2 older children. 10 and 17. I have a 19 year old in university. Luckily I have a good family and friends and was able to find somewhere to live quite quickly. I have tried my best to remain friendly with him as he has his own issues an I want him to be part of baby's life. But it's hard not to feel resentful now the hurt has passed.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sat 01-Mar-14 04:36:51

I was a week away from my 37th birthday when DS was born. Had been married 16 years!

CristaBell Sat 01-Mar-14 09:18:58

Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

I wouldn't worry, a baby might make your relationship stronger and it might not. Either way, I believe everything happens for a reason.....

Enjoy your pregnancy and take each day as it comes with your new man, I hope it all works out for you.

x

ElleDubloo Sat 01-Mar-14 17:19:29

Congratulations! Your worries about the early stage of your relationship makes me think of the movie Knocked Up - a wonderfully life-affirming film and I'd recommend you watching it if you haven't already smile

I'm very happy for you, and hope that the baby brings you and your relationship many blessings!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now