Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What is a CAF meeting that your midwife undertakes with you.

(43 Posts)
EmilyJane86 Fri 28-Feb-14 23:17:00

I am 9 weeks pg and I agreed to having a CAF meeting with my midwife thinking it was some routine thing. After speaking to friends they tell me they did not have one? I have a history of depression but I am fine now could this be why the midwife has asked to do one?

surromummy Fri 28-Feb-14 23:22:09

Are you under 18? see here

EmilyJane86 Fri 28-Feb-14 23:26:14

Lol I wish I am 27

SaucyJack Fri 28-Feb-14 23:34:40

Your MW really has the daggers out for you I'm afraid.

If it's what I'm thinking of (Common Assessment Framework) then it's a low-level child protection type thing.

You might need to seriously think about changing MWs or making a formal complaint. None of what you've posted makes sense- even if it was crack or meth you were on.

MissOtisRegretsMadam Fri 28-Feb-14 23:38:39

It might be to assess if your history of depression may have an effect on you as a mother and make sure things are in place to support you. However all this should have been discussed with you properly before you agreed. W
What did she say to you about it?

SoonToBeSix Fri 28-Feb-14 23:43:46

Saucey and op it is in no way child protection!
It is just a way to bring any agencies involved talking to each other and is entirely voluntary.

EmilyJane86 Fri 28-Feb-14 23:47:40

All she said was I will book you in for an hour long session with me called a CAF meeting. We just discuss ways to ensure we are there for you through out your pregnancy and after...like baby massage classes. I'm a fully functioning adult nurse working in a busy hospital. I'm more than capable of looking after my baby and I am very sensible. I am actually really annoyed now. We sell thing is I have seen two different midwives and might not even see the same again.

SaucyJack Fri 28-Feb-14 23:49:00

Yes. Any agencies involved in the welfare of the child.

It's not there to discuss new paint colours for your bathroom........

EmilyJane86 Fri 28-Feb-14 23:49:24

I have no other agencies involved. Apart from my gp. I was discharged from counselling last year and I've never needed help with drug or alcohol abuse. I've never been sectioned either

EmilyJane86 Fri 28-Feb-14 23:50:08

Silly*

SpinningFates Fri 28-Feb-14 23:58:08

Sounds odd OP. ASFAIA, it for pregnant teenagers!!

I would ask some more questions - make sure your medical records are accurate - something has flagged this up - not every pregnant woman get this type of "support".

I would be very suspicious if a MW had suggested this course of action to me.

EmilyJane86 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:00:28

I like one I'm four women out there have had depression. My GP sees me regularly and I am nearly off my meds. I have one week left and I am done. I have never been made to get any help o have always gone to my Doctors and asked for help myself.

EmilyJane86 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:02:31

Yer I know what flagged this up. My honesty about my depression and a phase a few years ago when I turned to drink and soft drugs. I only ever needed medical treatment for my depression and that was all as an put patient. Wish I kept my big mouth shut. So much for honesty being the best policy

Sharaluck Sat 01-Mar-14 00:05:37

Yes I would ask more questions about the other agencies involved. Seems very strange if your depression treatment only involved your gp and counsellor. Who else would be at the meeting? confused

Is it because she thinks you are at risk for pnd?

wherethewildthingis Sat 01-Mar-14 00:07:28

CAF refers to the common assessment framework, it's an out of date term for children where there may be some additional needs but not at the level where social services would be involved. It is voluntary and is generally for situations where professionals have some concerns at a very low level. It is not child protection.
But I'm sure as a nurse you have had safeguarding training, and already knew that.

EmilyJane86 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:08:45

Yer I think I am at risk of that myself to be fair. Always a concern how ever my depression is practically zilch now. It's my anxiety that still troubles me but nothing like it used to. Only her at this meeting I believe

EmilyJane86 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:11:50

I have never heard of CAF being used like this. I am an adult nurse. It's funny you should say that cause I am doing my safe guarding of children E learning tomorrow if the ward is not too busy. I am quite ignorant when it comes to children's services. It has never interested me. Give me a 70 year old and I am peachy

SpinningFates Sat 01-Mar-14 00:11:59

I see OP. You have been flagged up because of your medical history. It's up to you if you want to enage with the CAF meeting. Unfortunately, I expect this won't be the last time you will hear from interfering well meaning MWs and HVs.

EmilyJane86 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:14:53

Well she did keep referring to me as an interesting case lol

wherethewildthingis Sat 01-Mar-14 00:15:46

Everyone who comes into contact with children professionally should know this stuff (it's the law). Sounds like you will learn a lot tomorrow that will be relevant to your own situation. Maybe look at this which is what I think your midwife is talking about
webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130903161404/http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/strategy/integratedworking/a0068944/team-around-the-child-tac

Sharaluck Sat 01-Mar-14 00:16:22

I think your midwife was just ensuring that you had support/awareness re pnd.

As the caf meeting is voluntary I would just phone and cancel. Say that you see your gp regularly and that you have a good support network (I'm assuming you do, yes?) and that you are aware of the signs of pnd etc and will continue to monitor your mental health with your gp.

SpinningFates Sat 01-Mar-14 00:23:51

Your MW wasn't honest with you about the meeting - baby massage? Really?

EmilyJane86 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:29:50

I don't ever remember learning about CAF before. With all due respect whether I knew what this meant or not is irrelevant. As you can see in having a hard time. I am a bloody good nurse. I don't need you preaching to me. I am human and I am allowed to forget things. I have a million other policies and procedures to work with and as I rarely come into contact with children theses policies take a back burner. I know it's the law but when you've got 15 patients needing their medication, washes or feeding doing your updates online take a back seat.

EmilyJane86 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:34:51

Yer she said we would discuss help I might need after birth. Like baby classes etc...its only going to be me and her. That's why I was confused cause my sister is a teacher and she says she uses CAF sometimes. When she discussed the meeting she just made it sound like everyone had it. I looked through my Moyes and saw CAF. It was meant to be yesterday but the first midwife I had seen only booked me for a 20min slot and she was only filling in...she never told me that. So it has now been rearranged for a few weeks time. Maybe it is only to support my cause I might be prone to PND

EmilyJane86 Sat 01-Mar-14 00:36:00

Notes*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now