Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The wonderful world of pregnancy hormones

(33 Posts)
Amiasmummy Fri 28-Feb-14 21:08:14

What's the silliest thing that's made the hormones make you cry?

When I was expecting dd it was a chewing gum advert that always used to set me off. I couldn't tell you the brand (I was far too distressed) but it was the one where all the smelly foods are little food people and right at the end the onion (which, by the way, was smiley and friendly throughout the advert) gets stuck in the lift doors. I felt so sad for that happy little onion.. Ridiculous I know!

Now expecting ds and there's a shepherds pie advert where the dad is cooking for his teenage daughter who's crying about getting dumped (or so I can gather). As soon as I see her crying it sets me off..

I also cried when my OH used the toilet right before I had to go and brush my teeth and left an inhuman stench behind.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to turn into a blubbering mess over silly things! I'm not normally a cryer (honest!)

TheFantasticFixit Fri 28-Feb-14 21:12:01

I broke down in the street at about 14 weeks when I was walking to work because two cars honked their horns at each other! Weird grin

McFox Fri 28-Feb-14 21:13:06

I cried in waitrose last week because they only had licorice toffee, not the normal stuff - you are not alone smile

Amiasmummy Fri 28-Feb-14 21:21:43

TheFantastic - I can see how that could be quite distressing grin I never know quite what to do when just one car honks.

Amiasmummy Fri 28-Feb-14 21:23:02

Mcfox - were you after normal liquorice or normal toffee? Either way I think it's perfectly reasonable to be upset that Waitrose failed you wink

McFox Fri 28-Feb-14 21:44:00

Normal toffee smile I usually avoid sugar totally but can't get enough of if at the moment - I was devastated!

Amiasmummy Fri 28-Feb-14 21:49:46

Nothing worse than an unsatisfied craving. You have my sympathy thanks I'm so glad I'm not the only emotional wreck grin

Becky2208 Fri 28-Feb-14 22:02:03

I cried the other night because when I opened the oven our smoke alarm went off. So much so that DH spent a couple of hours yesterday cleaning the oven. Though I'm clearly irrationally hormonal, at least I got a clean oven out of it grin!

Misty9 Fri 28-Feb-14 22:13:51

I was in floods of tears when watching Call the Midwife on catch up - the episode where her boyfriend dies unexpectedly. It affected me for the rest of the day too!

AbbyRue Fri 28-Feb-14 22:15:48

My craving is always ice. DH went and brought Tesco ice which is too tough to crunch. I cried buckets hmm

Groovester Fri 28-Feb-14 23:07:55

Free Willy (the film!) I wasn't even watching it but DS was. When the whale heard his family's cries beyond the barrier and responded sadly, I broke down. Seriously. Snot and tears everywhere! smile

Evie2014 Sat 01-Mar-14 02:41:18

I cried in the car when "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" came on the radio. It struck me as unbearably profound. I am almost in admiration at my own silliness.

MrsGiraffe12 Sat 01-Mar-14 06:37:02

I've been craving marshmallows for over a week now, and my work haven't had them in stock and due to horrendous tiredness I hadn't trekked around town looking for some like I might usually do - until yesterday anyway. Finally found some in the 6th shop I looked in.

Literally ran home and ripped them open, stuffed one in and they were VILE. I cried buckets. Heartbroken didn't even come close. DH and DS just looked at me blankly lol x

MrsGiraffe12 Sat 01-Mar-14 06:38:18

Oh and I'm still crying every single time I see them bloody plastic flamingos on gnomeo and Juliette. So sad how they were so in love and got seperated :-(

I wish my son didn't want to watch it every night x

moomin35 Sat 01-Mar-14 13:17:51

i cant work out how I would be normally and what can be put down to pregnancy!

amy246 Sat 01-Mar-14 14:18:46

I saw a rainbow and burst into tears! I then started laughing at myself for being so soppy!

HelenHen Sat 01-Mar-14 14:40:00

I was buying a bottle of wine in m&s as a gift. When I went to put it in the bottom of the buggy, it dropped and smashed. The woman working there was lovely and replaced it and this made me cry. So I had all these old women, some looking in sympathy, some in horror at the pregnant woman with the toddler crying over alcohol in the middle of the shop. It was horrific! I haven't been back to the food section of m&s since!

CleverWittyUsername Sat 01-Mar-14 15:51:15

When I was only about 7 weeks I was walking into work, someone could see me coming through the window and got up to open the door for me as my hands were full. After several mornings of struggling in with piles of stuff and feeling nauseaus, I did almost cry with gratitude!

talulahbelle Sat 01-Mar-14 16:01:29

I cried because it was DHs turn to make dinner and he gave me frozen leftovers to reheat. Then threw a strop because I wanted proper food.
He has since bought a slow cooker so we can have fresh cooker dinner every night and has promised to save leftovers for when I'm not around grin

Disclaimer - I'm not normally this demanding.

Amiasmummy Sat 01-Mar-14 16:14:18

Amy246 - I've done the crying/laughing thing many a time! grin
Some of these are brilliant.. I nearly cried at the supermarket earlier because I needed to wee and the toilets were on the opposite side of the building, but I held it together (go me!) wink

HelenHen Sat 01-Mar-14 18:13:13

Oh the crying laughing thing is the worst! I can't seem to differentiate between the two... I try to laugh and end up sobbing. When I was pg with ds, we were listening to Springsteen... Dh was doing a silly dance making me laugh. He spun a full circle and Id gone from laughing to sobbing cos I couldn't go to the concert. Poor guy got a right shock! He's used to it now tho!

Amiasmummy Sat 01-Mar-14 19:06:28

Haha Helen grin I completely 'get' that. A lot of my tears in the first 2 trimesters were from laughing hysterically and then sobbing because I had no idea why I was laughing in the first place.

polkadotdelight Sat 01-Mar-14 19:56:06

FFS I'm crying at the bloody Voice because I can see how much all the contestants want to get through!

HelenHen Sat 01-Mar-14 21:48:07

Lol amiasmummy... Have you also had the thing where you laugh so hysterically you actually worry that you're not going to be able to stop and that you may either get Sick or go insane? That also scared the shit out of poor dh lol. Haven't had it this time... Yet!

Boogles91 Sun 02-Mar-14 00:45:20

I cant seem to have a barny with the ither half withiut crying about it! It makes him feel bad wich then makes me feel bad as im crying for nothing lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now