Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Celebrating??

(12 Posts)
Teddybear33 Fri 28-Feb-14 19:26:55

Hi

One of my very best friends has recently got engaged and we're out to celebrate tonight. I'm just 12 weeks and not had scan yet. I've not had alcohol since finding out but wondered if it's safe to have a quarter glass of fizz with her or if I really should just avoid it altogether?

CristaBell Fri 28-Feb-14 19:34:08

When I was 10 weeks I had one small glass to celebrate my birthday and it didn't do any harm.

Congratulations to you on your pregnancy and your friend on her engagement smile

TheOnlySeven Fri 28-Feb-14 19:37:42

A small glass every now and then won't do any harm, just make sure it is only a small glass and don't do it very often. Hope you have a good time smile

Inglori0us Fri 28-Feb-14 19:45:05

A tiny amount will be fine.

Teddybear33 Fri 28-Feb-14 20:04:09

Thanks ladies x

Teddybear33 Sat 01-Mar-14 08:42:23

As it turns out I had a very diluted prosecco with lemonade and drank less than a quarter of the glass. Was able to order a mocktail at the restaurant before they all arrived. Hopefully will be able to reveal all in a few days but for now we still wanted to keep it quiet. Thanks again for the advice ladies x

Ragwort Sat 01-Mar-14 08:49:44

Glad you enjoyed your evening out. smile.

I had no idea I was pregnant until I was 10 weeks and had been drinking normally (2-3 glasses of wine most evenings blush) all that time.

Of course it is fine to have the occasional glass of wine when pregnant, I do think some of the reactions about drinking in pregnancy are totally extreme.

MielPop Sun 02-Mar-14 15:52:31

Better not risk it and avoid alcohol completely! It is not so hard to have a soft drink instead and prevent any possible damage.

TheOnlySeven Sun 02-Mar-14 18:01:00

mielpop even the NHS say it's best to avoid alcohol, however if you choose to drink have no more than 1-2 units once a week. They don't state that you absolutely can't have alcohol like they do with pate, liver and some types of cheese.

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Sun 02-Mar-14 20:11:20

And people shouldn't be made to feel guilty for drinking alcohol during pregnancy, just to add to what TheOnlySeven says!

not at all speaking as someone who was told, when having one glass of wine diluted with lemonade at 20 weeks pregnant, that my baby would die angry

PenguinsEatSpinach Sun 02-Mar-14 20:42:56

I hate the mentality that says "better not risk it" (when applied to other people, fine to apply it to yourself). The OP was talking about less than a glass as a one off. No scientific research anywhere says that is an issue. Alcohol issues are dose dependent and that amount is utterly negligible. But we guilt trip mothers based on (moral) judgement about their behaviour. We don't apply better not risk it to using make up or using a mobile or any number of daily unnecessary activities not proven beyond doubt totally safe.

No, you shouldn't drink much in pregnancy. Many people choose to drink nothing. Others are happy with small amounts. But one glass as a one off is a very tiny amount.

Teddybear33 Mon 03-Mar-14 07:34:29

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe that is a truly awful thing that someone said to you! I hope it wasn't a friend and I'm sure one diluted glass won't do any harm! How awful. Sorry someone felt the need to say something do cruel. Since finding out at 4 weeks I've abstained mainly due to the fact I fell pregnant over Christmas and the New Year and therefore during the most 'festive' three or four weeks I had no idea, I wasn't late, so carried on as normal only to feel horrified in first week of jan when I realised I was pregnant (yay!) but had been drinking (oh s**t!) so decided to avoid completely. I think alcohol and pregnancy is a very personal decision but my midwife on Saturday said its only a real issue if you're an alcoholic and the odd small glass won't hurt. She also said that september is the busy time for babies and that a number are conceived while under the influence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now