Talk

Advanced search

What bedding do I need for PFB?

(8 Posts)
CurlsLDN Fri 28-Feb-14 18:51:31

Hello, first time mum to be here!

We have a Moses basket which we plan to start baby off in, and then move him to a cot at 6 months, or earlier of he grows out of the basket.

We have a mattress for each, waterproof sheets and fitted mattress sheets. But I'm a bit confused about what else he'll need?

For Moses basket, is it just a waffle blanket? For the cot, just a sleeping bag thingy? Or should I be looking at sheets too?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thankyou wise mumsnetters

TheScience Fri 28-Feb-14 19:04:22

You can put them in sleeping bags from about 8lbs if you want - or layers of sheets and/or cellular blankets.

Waggamamma Fri 28-Feb-14 19:31:53

I used cellular blankets until around 4 weeks when ds moved to a sleeping bag.

He was in sleeping bags until just over a year old, when I switched to a toddler duvet.

Don't be sucked in by the pretty bedding sets in the shops like I was. The bumpers aren't safe to use at all really due to risk of suffocating (the labels on mine said don't use once baby will roll). The duvets can't be used until after a year old.

For this baby I'll stick with blankets and sleeping bags again.

Geneticsbunny Fri 28-Feb-14 19:35:07

we are using miracle blankets for our little one who is 14 weeks. you can get them from mothercare and they allow you to swaddle so the baby feels more secure.

cravingcake Sat 01-Mar-14 04:01:02

Dont bother buying proper fitted little sheets for moses basket, pillow cases work just as well and are loads cheaper.

hazchem Sat 01-Mar-14 04:20:46

We used pillow cases for the pram mattress. DS was 10pounds so we used a gro bag from birth. We picked up a couple at a charity shop and then got the next size up at NCT sales. We also had quite a few cotton blankets for day time in the cot or wrapped in arms ect. Again charity shops are good for this sort of thing because you can wash cotton hot.

ravenAK Sat 01-Mar-14 04:35:35

Any old fleece blankets, folded appropriately. Honestly.

I know we all trug off to Mothercare etc, but my oldest is 10 this year, & you could drop a newborn on me out out of the sky tomorrow - I have blankets, it'd be fine!

Avoid cot bumpers & duvets.

Moses baskets are fine with a pillow case in lieu of a sheet. Once you move to a cot you can buy fitted cot sheets, or just use an old single sheet - pull it taut & tuck all the excess under the mattress.

Basically, have fun buying cute stuff if you'll enjoy doing so, but your baby will be fine with whatever you have.

CurlsLDN Sat 01-Mar-14 18:25:21

Thank you everyone! I feel a bit more confident now. If read that bumpers and duvets weren't appropriate for little ones but was starting to wonder why all the shops sell them?
Ill stick to my gut and use a couple of blankets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now