Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Membrane sweep at 39 weeks?

(9 Posts)
NewbieLee Fri 28-Feb-14 10:39:39

Has anyone been offered a membrane sweep at 39 weeks? This is my first pregnancy and there are no medical reasons for doing the sweep other than the OB saying that it can start labour and the downside is that it won't start labour if the cervix isn't ready.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - has this worked for anyone?

HelenHen Fri 28-Feb-14 10:46:57

I was given one on 40 week's but it did nothing. My personal advice would be not to bother and sit back and enjoy the final part of pregnancy. It didn't hurt but I found it very uncomfortable and invasive! Some people say it worked but, given the timing of when they do it, many women are ready for Labour anyway.

ZingSweetMango Fri 28-Feb-14 11:19:54

it is generally offered after 40 weeks, I have never heard a first time mum to be offered this at 39 weeks, but if course I don't know everything! smile

My own MW was reluctant to do it 39 weeks with my 5th!

if I were you I would decline.
it is unlikely to work but introduces possible risk of infection, so IMO it's unnecessary

accept it when you are overdue.
all the best

ZingSweetMango Fri 28-Feb-14 11:23:21

I had 2 with my 3rd,
3 with my 5th and 2 or 3 with my 6th - I went into labour on my own soon after the last of each sweep.

DS1 & DS2 were both induced (different reasons) and sweep was never offered.

DS4 was ELCS

I'm pg with my last one, will opt for as many sweeps as possible to avoid another C-Section (I can't be induced)

PenguinsEatSpinach Fri 28-Feb-14 11:44:00

They don't generally offer pre-40 weeks, especially with a first. It's unlikely to do anything, but may increase infection risk. I know it's hard to wait, but it's honestly not particularly helpful. Even overdue they don't necessarily do much.

onceipopicantstop Fri 28-Feb-14 13:20:06

Seems to vary between areas. Community midwives only offer them from 40 weeks here. But I saw a consultant last week who was happy for me to have them twice a week from 37 weeks - I have health problems which would make an earlier delivery preferable. But have had 2 so far with no effect - so as others have said there is an advantage to waiting until nearer due date anyway as much more likely to be effective.

ladymia Fri 28-Feb-14 14:00:01

Yes but I declined. Had one at 40 weeks ... was still (heavily) pregnant a week later at 41 weeks.

ZenNudist Fri 28-Feb-14 14:20:16

My mw said that in my area they offer sweep after 41w in first pg, from 40w second pg.

I had one at 41w for ds1 and at 40+4 with ds2. Each time it worked and my boys were born the day after. It helped start things off.

First one was fine & didn't hurt during or after. Second one really uncomfortable & horrid period pains afterwards that resolved into labour pains!

I'd hold off a week or 2 if I were you. Def worth doing once you're overdue.

EagleRay Fri 28-Feb-14 14:53:43

I had one at 39 weeks, sanctioned by obstetrician due to maternal age. And then had 5 more confused before going into labour at 40+8

Definitely wouldn't bother again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now