Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What's it like when your water breaks?

(28 Posts)
mostlyconfused Thu 27-Feb-14 20:54:52

Hi. I had to get my waters broken with my first baby so don't have any idea what it's actually like when your waters break.

How messy is it? I've read that the smell is so bad that you need to replace carpets,mattresses etc. is that true?
Thanks

LadySnapcase Thu 27-Feb-14 20:59:34

There's no guarantee they'll go in a gush! Mine just started trickling out, thought my bladder control had finally gone...but then it just kept going, and I realized what it was, so I just put a pad on and just changed it regularly. Didn't notice any smell...

slugseatlettuce Thu 27-Feb-14 21:00:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBitterBoy Thu 27-Feb-14 21:02:14

Mine went in bed. I turned over and there was a distinct 'pop' sound, then a gush. There was quite a lot of liquid, similar to when DS wets the bed, but luckily I had one of those absorbent bedmats on which contained it almost completely.

TheBitterBoy Thu 27-Feb-14 21:03:03

Actually the smell was mild, urine is worse!

Bunbaker Thu 27-Feb-14 21:03:19

Same as slug

I had an inkling something would happen as I had had a show that morning, so I was wearing a maternity pad when my waters went. I then went and sat on the loo for about 20 minutes letting the fluid gush out while I waited for my husband to come back and then sat on a towel in the car to be driven to hospital.

ilikemysleep Thu 27-Feb-14 21:03:59

Had water break 3 times. First and 3rd were pop then gush (was in bed each time, managed to leap out of bed in time to save the matress!). The gushes come pretty frequently, its impossible to stop trousers etc getting absolutely sodden, even with mega brick style maternity pads. It doesn't smell bad though; slightly sweet if anything.

Second was hind waters. Had no pop, but a gush when coughing, couple more gushes, then nothing - my son's head was blocking any more water as he'd kicked open the bag higher up. I knew what it was because of the previous time, but a very different experience in terms of the amount of mess!

OohMrDarcy Thu 27-Feb-14 21:05:58

with dc2 mine went during a massive contraction whilst sat on the loo! Thought baby was coming out for a minute! Turned out it was the waters bulging - follwed by a massive gush, I do remember looking in the toilet in case I'd got lucky and baby was out <naive>

Cariad007 Thu 27-Feb-14 21:05:58

Mine went with a gush within minutes of entering my room in the birth centre and then baby was out within an hour!

Jbck Thu 27-Feb-14 21:06:36

Felt like a balloon inflating in my tummy but made it to the bathroom in time for a bit of a pop and a small gush on the tiles, don't recall a smell.

Sat on the loo for a little while then put knickers on, I was in bed asleep and woke up feeling odd.

KatharineClover Fri 28-Feb-14 08:04:20

Mine went in hospital. I was lying down, felt a pop, leapt up and there was a puddle of pea soup around me! (Baby had pooed - heavy/ grade 3 meconium). It then did the same again (but bigger puddle) when I got up after being transferred to labour ward about an hour later. I remember chucking handfuls of paper towels to try and soak it up! Luckily it was hard floors, a carpet, bed or car seat would have been ruined!

Carsandtrucks Fri 28-Feb-14 08:23:26

Didn't even notice!

Pixielady83 Fri 28-Feb-14 08:37:31

Mine started as a bit of a gush (enough to go through my jeans and soak my knickers) and then continued to leak throughout my labour, I would get another gush with each contraction so I had to sit on a towel. initially I kept changing knickers and putting always pads on but soon realised that wasn't going to cut it! I must have spent the first half hour of my labour running back and forth from the bathroom and changing knickers though grin

As I recall it didn't smell and didn't stain anything.

NiSaBula Fri 28-Feb-14 08:51:51

I woke up in the middle of the night, then heard a pop, so I got up and went to the toilet. I pretty much trickled (no gush) from then on. I had had mild twinges the night before, so I wasn't surprised it was all starting. Dd1 was born 8 hours later. I don't remember a strong smell (it was 15 years ago though).

CheeseTMouse Fri 28-Feb-14 09:04:02

I was fairly far on when they went so I had been hanging around in the bath. They went about the same time I got the show - but no dramatic popping. I was surprised by how late in labour it happened, as I had been convinced it would be one of the first signs.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 28-Feb-14 09:05:50

Mine were like I'd wet myself, but I wouldn't have been able to stem the flow like you can sometimes with a wee.

RighteousSausage Fri 28-Feb-14 09:09:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsRV Fri 28-Feb-14 19:33:33

I was sitting on the sofa a day overdue & hubby was doing an impression of the gypsy wedding programme girls. it made me laugh so much and then I felt the wee... I was sure I hadn't weed... then it kept coming and coming for the next 24 hours!!!! had a towel following me around & pads were wet within minutes. not the best time for lots of family visits!!!!

RNJ3007 Fri 28-Feb-14 19:38:16

I rolled over, heard and felt the pop and then the gush. Waterproof mattress cover saved bed. No smell!

First time was a hind waters leak, thought I was wetting myself, got checked at my 40w appt after I mentioned it and was told I had a leak. They gushed on the bus home... I was in a skirt (oh the shame!)

MorganLeFey Fri 28-Feb-14 19:54:30

Started before any contractions - it felt like a bubbling sensation as I was on my way to the loo & soaked through to my jeans but not the floor etc. Concerned I had wet myself - but the sensation before felt different & it seems more sudden rather than a stream.

Smelt different to urine but not awful. Washed & kept the maternity jeans.

Went & lay down with a maternity pad on for an hour or so then stood up to do the Is This Really It check (earlier than expected) & ongoing damp but not soaking pads. Some more gushes while in labour - so think either hindwaters or plenty of fluid (which fitted with the speed of initial weight loss) that was allowed out as PFB progressed through the canal.

fideline Fri 28-Feb-14 19:57:01

No smell. One enormous gush. The sofa survived.

MammySam Fri 28-Feb-14 20:02:36

I was a good 10 hours into labour when mine went. I was stood on my own in a hospital room after being toldi wasn't allowed on the bed (!) I had an almighty contraction and load of pressure then there was a small pop and I felt the gush. Didn't spill on the floor and I had a pad on already. I don't remember any smell at all. I was quite scared though, it felt quite dramatic at the time. Specially being on my own. I pressed the buzzer for the midwife as I didn't realise that's what had happened, and got told off!
I'm going to d everything I can not to go back to that hospital if this little baby sticks and I get to full term!

mrsbug Fri 28-Feb-14 20:05:22

I felt a pop and had no idea what it was - went into labour prematurely so wasn't expecting my waters to go any time soon. Then a massive gush, instantly soaked through my trousers and onto the floor.

It smelled kind of sweet.

Chocaholics Fri 28-Feb-14 20:07:43

My waters broke hours before contractions started. In both cases I stood up and there was a pop then water running down my legs. It didn't smell but did leak continuously for hours and my clothes were soaking wet as the maternity pad didn't soak it up. The leaking was more like gushes then a trickle but coughing/sneezing meant a gush came out.

Ilovecake80 Fri 28-Feb-14 21:12:44

I was already in hospital when my waters went (waiting to be induced) sat up out of bed then they just broke in a gush there seemed to be lots and the midwife cleared it up, after breaking my contractions started, after the initial gush I needed to wear a maternity pad as they continued to leak throughout the labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now