Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unhomogenised Milk? HELP!

(8 Posts)
Ilovebean Thu 27-Feb-14 12:27:41

Hi Everyone. Am currently 21 weeks pregnant. I bought some whole organic milk to put on my cereal (Duchy organic milk) After I finished eating I read the lable out of boredom and it says it's unhomogenised milk. It IS pasturised.

I'm not sure if I should of had it, or if I need to seek emergency help, or if I can carry on?

Can anyone shed some light if this milk is safe during pregnancy?
Thanks

MummyCoolski Thu 27-Feb-14 12:30:39

Homogenising is where all of the layers are shaken up so that the creamy bits are distributed. Can't see that the lack of it would be dangerous in pregnancy.

MrsCakesPremonition Thu 27-Feb-14 12:33:36

It is the pasteurisation that kills the bugs, so you should be fine.

Homogenisation just breaks up the fat so it spreads throughout the milk instead of settling to the top.

MrsNutella Thu 27-Feb-14 12:35:06

coolski is right. Generally supermarket milk has been shaken (homogenised) and you don't get that little layer of cream on the surface. Which is a pity really smile

I don't why it's done though. Perhaps to make sure the bottle of milk has generally the same fat content as the one next to it on the shelf?
But that's why semi skimmed is called semi skimmed, the cream has been "skimmed" off of the top - or at least that used to be the case.

MrsCakesPremonition Thu 27-Feb-14 12:37:46

I miss have "top of the milk" on my tinned fruit salad sad.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 27-Feb-14 12:42:54

www.wisegeek.com/what-is-homogenized-milk.htm - tells you what homogenised milk is. So your milk hasnt been treated like this and will separate out with the fat layer on the top. It isnt bad for you at all ans is perfectly safe in pregnancy.

Ilovebean Thu 27-Feb-14 12:43:45

Thank you all. Panic over.

I normally just buy Waitrose organic milk but they were all out so went for the Duchy. I didn't even notice the cream on top of the carton until after.

I feel much better now, thank you smile

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 27-Feb-14 12:45:34

Un homogenised is better for you. When the fat is mixed in it tricks your body into absorbing it.
Unpasteurised is even better because a lot of nutrients and healthy bacteria are killed/removed by the heating process.
Sadly in certain cases unpasteurised can possibly be risky.
I have a friend who produces raw milk. Its delicious. <<gets a bit side tracked>>
You will be fine. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now