Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby has an abnormally large abdomen

(10 Posts)
Inglori0us Thu 27-Feb-14 12:06:21

Growth scan today (32+4) showed baby's abdomen has grown to outside the normal size range.
Scan 4 weeks ago showed it at 98th centile so it's increased since then. Measurements were at 50th at 22 weeks.
Seeing a consultant tomorrow but I'm really panicking.
Anyone else had experience of this?
TIA.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 27-Feb-14 12:47:54

Have you been tested for Gestational Diabetes? It can make a big difference to babies abdominal circumference. Once mine was diagnosed and kind of under control, babies abdomen has gone right down.

Inglori0us Thu 27-Feb-14 12:56:47

Yes, my GTT was normal and I've not gained that much weight. Bump has been measuring between 1 and 6 weeks over. Baby is breech too.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 27-Feb-14 13:07:12

Well firstly, ive had LOTS of growth scans. They vary greatly. Sonographers ability, equipment and baby's position can all make a big difference. There is also the fact that everyone is different to think about. I have short legs and a big head. DD has long legs and a short body.
If you've got to 34? weeks + , sorry I'm on my phone and can't scroll back to check, and have got to this stage without any abnormalities and anomalies coming to light then I'd imagine it's highly probable that it's just a glitch.
How does abdomen compare to the other body measurements?
Anecdotally, DS had a body and limbs around the 6th centile, and his head was 95+. Hes quite normal. well as normal as an 18 yo cam be ...

Inglori0us Thu 27-Feb-14 13:15:41

Thank you.
Other measurements are larger side of normal, except the head circumference which is just under the 50th.
I don't know why he has such a growth spurt for the abdomen. Worried it's a symptom of something sinister.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 27-Feb-14 14:55:34

Also, you have been tested once for GD but I don't think there is anything to stop you having developed it since. Although I may be wrong. What I've been eating has really affected baby's abdomen size. Anyway, as I already said, nothing sinister has been picked up yet and you're nearly there. I'm sure you'll be monitored closely, try not to worry. xx

Loopyaboutmy2boys Thu 27-Feb-14 15:03:29

My ds2 had this too, big head, decent length but abdomen off the scale. Was born and nothing wrong, and nearly 18 months later he still has a big belly on him like he always has had, he walks like he is about 6 months pregnant and it increases in size throughout the day. Has been consistently above 91st centile, just the way he is destined to be I guess, whereas his brother who has the same diet is a bag of bones!

Inglori0us Thu 27-Feb-14 15:04:01

I'll ask my consultant about retaking the GTT. My midwife said it was unlikely I'd have GD as my last GTT blood sugar was 4.8 before and after the test, meaning it was all processed very efficiently. I also have a low sugar diet.
Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Loopyaboutmy2boys Thu 27-Feb-14 15:04:04

And I didn't have GD either

Inglori0us Thu 27-Feb-14 15:05:32

Thanks Loopy. Good to hear your ds is ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now