Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Taking sick days in pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
EllaJayne123 Wed 26-Feb-14 18:46:32

Hello.. Just looking for advise as very unsure of my rights here. I'm 16 weeks pregnant, told my work at 14 weeks as didnt want the extra stress and took annual leave for all gp midwife and hospital appointments before that. I asked to take an hour off for a doctors appointment last week and they told me I had to make up the time in my lunch and after work. I soon realised this was not right and questioned them were they responded 'ok we'll let you off' so I already know they're trying to fob me off! I recently took 3 days off sick as I was so sick I became dehiydrated and had to visit my doctor midwife and hospital over those days. On my return they have me a sickness meeting and advised me this was unacceptable and I needed to provide a sick note for my absense. I called my doctor who said they don't issue it for less than 7 days my work then told me this was not true and I now need to provide it for any future absences. 3 days off in 16 weeks of having a horrible pregnancy doesn't seem that bad in my eyes? I'm only 18 and part of me thinks my work are praying on this and not interested in my rights or how I feel but there stats. Does anyone know if they can do this or not? My HR is based in India and I couldn't even get a payslip out of them without an hour conversation so very hard to go down that route! Thanks smile

MyNameIsKenAdams Wed 26-Feb-14 18:48:38

Any and all sickness that is related to the pregnancy is not permitted to be counted towards your sickness record.

Hopefully someone will come along shortly with a link to something you can print out which id recmmend reading through with your boss.

ShadowFall Wed 26-Feb-14 19:03:34

You are legally entitled to paid time off for antenatal care.

So if you have a midwife appointment, or if the doctor's appointment is related to your pregnancy, then your work should not ask you to make the time up.

If you are ill during pregnancy, and the illness is related to the pregnancy, then that shouldn't count towards your sickness record. If your employer does count this towards your sickness record, then that could count as unlawful discrimination.

summerbaby2014 Wed 26-Feb-14 19:24:17

Aside from being pregnant there should be guidelines for how long you can be off sick for without needing a note. (It is 5 days at my company but others have 3). This should be known, it sounds like your HR department isn't good enough. They'll need a kick when it comes to you organising your maternity leave.
Agee with others that pregnancy related sickness doesn't count towards sick days and you are entitled to time off for ante natal care
Sounds like your boss is winging it. You need sit down with her and have a full discussion if what is/isn't expected.

Mummytobe2014 Wed 26-Feb-14 19:24:42

Get some advice from the CAB and then go in with the details. You can self certify from work for five working days before getting doc cert. All pregnancy appts should be granted without u having to make it up.

summerbaby2014 Wed 26-Feb-14 19:26:05

My work has an HR meeting as routine for pregnant people. They talk you through everything and answer questions. Is there a uk based representative you can talk to? or any colleagues who have had a child recently you could get some advice from?

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 26-Feb-14 19:28:26

ACAS link

Equality and Human Rights Commission link

Hope that helps.

You are entitled to paid time off for ante natal care. You cannot be asked to make the time up.

You are entitled to as much sick leave as you need during pregnancy, but only to whatever pay you would normally get for sickness absence. You can't be disciplined based on the normal policy.

Your doctor is right. Sick notes are not routinely issued for short absences - it is a waste of everyone's time and would just encourage arsey employers to be demanding. They can't do anything if you refuse to provide one.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 26-Feb-14 19:29:55

Here is the gov.uk link about seven days for sickness absence (seven calendar, so would be five working days in an office or whatever).

EllaJayne123 Wed 26-Feb-14 20:02:47

Thanks everyone. I thought they were being unfair! Last person who had a baby there was 5 years ago so complete restructure since and no advise! The worst part is I work for local government so am public sector! Completely ridiculous how they are treating me though will print off some of those and ask for a meeting. Thanks again!

FirsttimerG Wed 26-Feb-14 21:07:16

This is absolutely awful - get looking at your rights and take them a copy, it sounds like they need it!

7 days absence is correct before a sick note issued (that includes weekend days). You are entitled to sick leave etc and the law protects you against unfair dismissal.

The only time sick leave is likely to cause an issue is if you have a certain amount of sickness in your final weeks it can allow the workplace to trigger early maternity leave.

Your antenatal appointment are also covered.

Fight your corner - sounds like your company needs some serious HR advice and soon!!

HandragsNGladbags Wed 26-Feb-14 21:10:20

Well if you are in local govt that strengthens your position. Are you in a union? If not join one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now