Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cramping in early pregnancy

(14 Posts)
mumtobefirsttime Wed 26-Feb-14 13:09:15

I found out I was pregnant on Monday and although I only conceived a couple of weeks ago, I', not classed as 4 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I'm ridiculously paranoid that something will go wrong and I'm monitoring every symptom I have and it's driving me crazy knowing I have to wait nearly 2 months for a scan!
Anyway, I keep getting (periodically, but its worse in bed at night) cramping. Mild to medium - similar to period pains and cramps. Its not sharp or stabbing and there's no bleeding and it's certainly not unbearable. I'm just terrified it's a miscarriage or something. My boobs are sore but thats my only other symptom.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

ksrwr Wed 26-Feb-14 13:25:40

hiya, i had this, and just kept thinking "oh well, that's the end of that then, here comes my period".
but i think in fact its just the uterus growing.
dont worry, you'll know if its a miscarriage, having had 2, you'll know.

Rockchick1984 Wed 26-Feb-14 13:26:26

Entirely normal, it'll be your uterus starting to stretch.

You can always pay for a private scan if you want one done sooner than 12 weeks, but there's not much point before about 8 weeks as you can't see much smile

TheScience Wed 26-Feb-14 13:29:14

Cramping with no bleeding, like your period is about to start but doesn't, has been the first symptom I've had with every pregnancy.

Wednesbury Wed 26-Feb-14 13:33:38

Yes. I had exactly this both times. I remember feeling really scared about it the first time round. But it is the womb starting to stretch. It was a bit twingy too when I got to about 6 weeks. The first 12 weeks take such a long time!

MrsMonkeyBear Wed 26-Feb-14 14:03:02

Exactly what I have at the moment. Pg with DC1 and panicking at every twinge and niggle. Everytime I go to loo I'm expecting to see blood (sorry if Tmi) I'm only 6+5. I just curl up with a hot water bottle and a cup of decaf tea. I also use some relaxation therapy that my GP gave me for my anxiety. It works wonders
X x

mumtobefirsttime Wed 26-Feb-14 14:20:56

Ah ladies this is good to know. I'm just so scared something will go wrong. mrsmonkeybear I'm exactly the same when I got to the loo its awful isn't it? Just want the 12 week scan to be here, or at least get to 5 weeks so I know its not a chemical pregnancy (I've done way too much internet reading) x x

TheBuggerlugs Wed 26-Feb-14 17:13:01

Yep I've been having this too. I'm 6w1d and had it so bad at around 4w3d ish that I even went to A&E but wasn't seen as the queue was huge and it went off. Mine were also way way worse at night and I was taking pain killers at bed time and then waking up to take more in the night. It's eased off in the last few nights and is now barely noticeable. It's totally normal OP.

RebeccaCloud9 Wed 26-Feb-14 18:18:47

I'm exactly the same! So desperate for scan and panicking at every twinge - which is quite regular as I'm feeling soo bloated! I had period like cramps for about a week and a half but it seems to be normal. I read about the uterus stretching in preparation for the massive growth it will be making and that really freaked me out!

I'm feeling frustrated at the waiting now - when did you guys hear from your midwife? I called to register a week ago and have heard nothing grr.

FrankelInFoal Wed 26-Feb-14 18:29:15

Cramps are totally normal in early pregnancy, your uterus and the surrounding ligaments need to start stretching to allow the baby to grow.

Most midwives don't want to see you until you are 8 weeks so it's not worth getting in touch much before 6/7 weeks. It depends on the system in your area - some healthcare trusts tell you to contact the midwives yourself, others ask you to see your GP who will make a referral.

RandomInternetStranger Wed 26-Feb-14 18:35:06

Totally normal. I'm 4 weeks & 4 days pg and I've had cramps every day for 2 weeks. I had this with DD too.

A word of warning - orgasms might have you doubled up with bad cramps which can be worrying but again normal. wink

inmybelly Wed 26-Feb-14 19:01:59

Exactly the same for me too! In fact, I've started to worry now mine have eased off.

Either way. I worry!!

Cuntzilla Wed 26-Feb-14 19:16:13

This is the exact phrase that I googled when pregnant with dc1 (now 3!!) and it led me to mumsnet so those cramps were worth it!
Thread after thread of reassurance that its normal and lots of brilliant random things. grin
Good luck with everything.

Pinkandwhite Wed 26-Feb-14 20:21:24

I had this too - it was very, very similar to what you describe. In fact I still get the odd one now at 14 + 4. It's very normal. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now