Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SEVERE abdominal pain after intercourse

(20 Posts)
inmybelly Wed 26-Feb-14 04:48:20

Unable to sleep at 4.45am and thought it might be a good idea to unleash my anxieties online!!!

I'm 5w1d, 33yrs old and this is my first pregnancy. Yesterday my boyfriend and I had the day off work, we were pretty busy: Worked out in the morning, went shopping and bowling and then came back home and had sex.

I felt pretty good all day, perhaps a bit woozy, hot and nauseous when we were bowling but nothing serious.

But later, immediately after sex, I started getting the most horrendous pain I've ever had in my lower tummy. It felt like a cramp or spasm but it was constant, it didn't pulsate. I tried to get to the bathroom but the pain was so bad I felt really faint and ended up lying down on the floor! I felt very nauseous but wasn't sick. I was sweating profusely and my boyfriend said I went white. He was really worried.

Eventually the pain subsided enough for me to crawl back to my bed. I lay curled up in pain, deep breathing, boiling hot for the next 20 mins. And then it just went away!

Now it occasionally just feels like a pulled muscle on my left side.

I saw the GP today who had some concerns about an ectopic pregnancy and I'm seeing her again tomorrow to (hopefully) arrange a scan.

However, since that event last night I can't help noticing that all my pregnancy symptoms have declined. Boobs definitely less tender and swollen and my once constantly erect nipples, no longer so. The truth is, although the GP is suspicious of EP, I'm actually worried I might have just miscarried. I have absolutely no pain at the moment.

I guess what I'm hoping to get is some reassurance... I've not had any bleeding, surely that's a good sign? It's just the severity of that pain.... Has anyone experienced that and been fine?

AngryBeaver Wed 26-Feb-14 05:00:30

There's not much anyone can say that will make a difference, tbh. You will worry until you have the scan.

Pregnancy does funny things to your innards! All kinds of muscles and things being stretched and moved.
You could be fine smile

Mc as an early stage is also pretty common, 1 in 3 I think. It's very common, but no less heartbreaking.

Sometimes there is no bleeding.

I have had miscarriages where I've bled and where I've not.

So try not to worry until you know what you're dealing with.

Hope everything works out well for you thanks

Slh122 Wed 26-Feb-14 05:02:38

Did you have an orgasm? Sorry if it's too personal but I found that in early pregnancy (up until about 6 weeks I think) that everytime we DTD, if I had an orgasm, I would get agonizing cramps just like what you describe - a constant pain, no pulsating or anything.

inmybelly Wed 26-Feb-14 05:13:39

Pleased to see Im not the only one awake! Thanks for replying.

You're right Angrybeaver, until I have a scan (whether it's an early one or the 12w one) the nagging thought in the back of my mind will probably be there regardless. Out of 5 of my friends who have had children, 4 of them miscarried their 1st between 6 and 12 weeks... So I've almost anticipated something happening. I've been trying to stay objective, but it's so difficult not to speculate over every tiny symptom!

Slh, yes I did orgasm, prior to the intercourse bit. It was a really big one actually (sorry if TMI) and my boyfriend is convinced that the orgasm caused the pain because I couldn't tolerate intercourse after. Whereas I'd had intercourse with no orgasm the day before and no problems at all.

So maybe that was it? The pain was agonising but stopped really suddenly about 40 mins later. Seems like a really extreme reaction but I'm happy to pin my hopes on it!!

livingzuid Wed 26-Feb-14 06:15:15

Oh my yes. At around 5 weeksish I had an orgasm then thought I was going to die it was so sore. I nearly fainted when I tried to shower, was nearly sick and spent half an hour just lying in bed moaning waiting for the cramps and nausea to subside. Put me off sex for ages then I got hg anyway. But I was kind of relieved because I didn't want to go through that again it was terrifying! I'm now 25+4.

Sex alone wouldn't cause a mc. If a mc is going to happen then sadly it will happen regardless. See how your scan goes - equally all could be fine smile

Aoifebelle Wed 26-Feb-14 06:52:02

Me too. Like you ended up on the bathroom floor. Mouth flooded with saliva, sweat dripping off me. I went and had a scan but it was too early to be definitive, caused me more worry tbh. You may want to consider holding out a week or so for the scan.

I love that you can discover this stuff on mn.

inmybelly Wed 26-Feb-14 08:02:21

Thanks for those replies, it's reassuring to hear that you've all had that kind of pain after an orgasm around the same time and the pregnancy continued anyway.

I've read elsewhere that boob symptoms can come and go also, so maybe it's just coincidence that mine stopped the next day.

Either way I guess it's just a case of distracting myself until I have a scan of some sort. And after trawling the internet obsessively for the last 24hrs, this seems to be a situation LOTS of women are in everyday!

inmybelly Wed 26-Feb-14 08:12:25

P.S. What's hg?

(New here)

livingzuid Wed 26-Feb-14 08:34:45

Hg is something you pray you never get. Hyperemesis gravidarium which is extreme nausea and vomiting in pregnancy, sometimes for the whole 9 months. Not to be mistaken for morning sickness. 1-100 women end up being hospitalised for extreme dehydration and malnutrition. It's not always picked up on or acknowledged by doctors and suggestions of ginger snaps and or travel sickness bands are not very helpful! I was lucky to get medicine that worked first time round and am still taking it, but others have not been so fortunate.

Nothing stays down, not water, nothing. Vomiting 10-12 times a day is normal. Or getting past the vomiting but the nausea never goes away and is crippling. Check out the hyperemesis thread for an idea.

As I say, hopefully you will never get it!

livingzuid Wed 26-Feb-14 08:39:22

And if you have no cramps and even more importantly no bleeding then I wouldn't worry too much. Boobs come and go depending on fluctuating hormones. Mmc are tragic and awful and horrible but there is only around a 1% chance of that happening. Your body normally tells you when something is wrong. I found my pg cramps were very different to period cramps and again different to when I had a mc. Am sure all will be fine.

As a pp said try not to scan until a bit later. Don't be disappointed even if at 7 weeks there isn't a hb which is not guaranteed until after 8 weeks. So long as there's a bit of change week by week in these very early stages that's what matters. The foetus really is very tiny!

Twoprincessesistwiceasnice Wed 26-Feb-14 08:58:23

When I was 9 weeks after sex I started to bleed a lot of bright red blood. I went up to A&E as it was late and had to wait to the following day for a scan, and baby was completely fine. I also had pain but not as bad as u described and everything was fine. Made me very very nervous to have sex again but did about 3 weeks after and haven't had any pain or bleeding since so maybe wait til after first trimester to have sex again xx

inmybelly Wed 26-Feb-14 10:24:56

Thanks again for those replies. It's so good to be able to hear all of your experiences, especially since only me, my boyfriend and 1 close friend of mine even know I'm pregnant. These are the sort of questions I'd normally ask my mum or SIL's but really don't want to spread the news at the moment, so really pleased I found this forum!!

Livingzuid, HG sounds horrendous!! At the moment I'm almost searching for feelings of nausea or any sign I might be pregnant, but definitely wouldn't wish that on myself!! Really hope the medicine continues to work for you.

Yup, definitely no cramps or bleeding ATM, and I hope it stays that way. I feel a bit calmer about it all now, seeing the GP later so will see what she thinks.

Twoprincesses, that must have been rally scary at the time, but so good to hear that even with bleeding things can turn out okay. Thank you for letting me know. I genuinely feel better for hearing that

smile

X x x

inmybelly Wed 26-Feb-14 18:51:27

Okay, so I saw my GP who spoke to a Gynaecologist and a midwife who both felt the pain and symptoms didn't match the typical presentation of an EP. GP had a good feel of my tummy which is mildly tender on the left but not enough to be concerned.

The midwife recommended 2 blood tests, had one done today and will have another on Friday in the hope they show a sufficient rise in hormone. Apparently that would tell us a lot more about the progression of the pregnancy than a scan at this stage which wouldn't really tell us anything.

So here's hoping!

livingzuid Wed 26-Feb-14 19:35:18

That's great news smile your hcg levels I think should be doubling at this stage daily but someone with more knowledge than me will be able to advise. Hoping for a happy story for you, do keep us posted!

inmybelly Wed 26-Feb-14 19:53:21

I'm sure the midwife said something like that, either that they would double by Friday or double each day. Fingers crossed! smile

inmybelly Thu 27-Feb-14 10:18:13

Well, had my first blood test back: 2978. Have no idea how high or low that is, but they said its tomorrow's number that matters.

Fingers crossed X x x

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Thu 27-Feb-14 10:30:13

Fingers crossed for you but just to ease your worries about lack of symptoms; I didn't find out I was pregnant unitl 7 weeks as I had no symptoms whatsoever apart from missing AF - I'm now 31 weeks smile

inmybelly Thu 27-Feb-14 10:34:11

Thank you, that's good to hear. 31 weeks feels like a lifetime away! smile

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Thu 27-Feb-14 10:41:17

It'll fly, trust me smile best of luck! x

inmybelly Wed 05-Mar-14 16:59:51

Thought I'd do a little update. Had a 6week scan today to ensure everything is in the right place. The embryo was in my uterus (yay!) and had a very clear heartbeat (it was amazing!). The cause of the pain I had is likely to be the 5cmx6cm cyst on my ovary. They're going to keep an eye on it but aren't concerned.

Yay!! So relieved!

Just 6 weeks till the next one now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now