Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose in urine

(9 Posts)
Cupcake11 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:49:32

I know that there are a lot of threads about GD but I wondered if anyone could help me?

My dad is a diabetic so I was sent for a GTT as standard at 28 weeks. It came back as a little high but still under the normal range.

This morning (31 weeks) my midwife said I had a very high amount of sugar in my urine and coupled with excessive thirst and tiredness plus family history she's concerned I might now have developed GD. So now I have to repeat the GTT on Monday.

I guess what I'd like to know is how likely it is I would have a high sugar reading in my urine if I wasn't diabetic?

mrsmugoo Tue 25-Feb-14 15:43:12

Even if you are positive for GD, you only have 9 weeks to go and some can be controlled with diet anyway, so don't get too worried.

Cupcake11 Tue 25-Feb-14 16:04:39

Thanks Mrsmugoo, I'm obviously concerned about the complicationas associated with GD but as you said I've only got nine weeks left to go - but if I do have I will be considered high risk and won't be able to go to my local birthing centre as planned which really upsets me.

hubbahubster Tue 25-Feb-14 19:41:01

I had a double plus of glucose in my urine at my last midwife appointment, tested my blood sugar 10 mins later (had GD in last pg so am monitoring) and was completely normal. I'd forgotten I had 6 choc chip biscuits mid-morning (oops!). The excessive thirst is obviously a red flag but you still may be within normal limits despite the glucose.

Cupcake11 Tue 25-Feb-14 22:24:06

Haha Hubba at the 6 cookies. All is had was a bowl if Special K, not sure if that's high in sugar or not but midwife didn't seem to think it Cousy be from that.
What do the pluses mean? Mine was a triple plus.

Amiasmummy Tue 25-Feb-14 22:29:49

I was sent for a GTT test last week (3rd one in this pregnancy) after they detected glucose in my urine. It came back normal, and today my urine was completely clear grin

Amiasmummy Tue 25-Feb-14 22:34:51

Oh, and I couldn't think of anything I'd eaten either so no idea what caused the glucose. Good luck with your GTT! Hope it turns out to be nothing smile

Cupcake11 Wed 26-Feb-14 19:39:05

Good to hear it doesn't always mean something bad then! Pleased you came back all clear.

Amiasmummy Thu 27-Feb-14 19:56:15

Hopefully it will be the same for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now