Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Moses basket mattress

(19 Posts)
Stevie77 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:38:18

Do I really need a new one?

The one I have we bought from new for DD1 who's 4, she only slept in it for the first 2.5/3 months. It has since been in the loft so no other babies have used it. I can't find the reasoning behind needing a new mattress for it, which is what I heard we need to get. Anyone?

peeapod Tue 25-Feb-14 13:43:56

i think its something to do with cot death.. and if its been in the loft it might have got dusty/mouldy/damp etc.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 25-Feb-14 13:50:27

if it has no cracks, has not gone saggy and is in good condition then it could be reused provided it is also waterproof and can be cleaned properly. However moses basket mattresses are also relatively cheap to replace.

I got a new crib mattress but reused the cot mattress as it was more expensive but also in great condition.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Tue 25-Feb-14 14:06:36

Mine cost £8 from Argos. Not really worth risking cot death for that much.

WeeClype Tue 25-Feb-14 14:09:42

I bought my Moses basket 2nd hand (but it was never used for a real baby, just the re-born ones) I used if for DS and I'm using it just now for my DD, DS was only in it for 10 weeks.

mandbaby Tue 25-Feb-14 14:28:34

I reused mine for my second son too. First son only slept in his moses basket for a few weeks, and I always kept it covered with a blanket as well as a fitted sheet for extra comfort. DS2 slept in the moses basket for about 3 months.

Littlebean13 Tue 25-Feb-14 15:09:53

Watching this with interest. We've been given a second hand Moses basket that my neice used but she was only in it for a few weeks so I'm in two minds about getting a new one.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 25-Feb-14 15:34:29

I would get a new mattress if it hasnt been used by one your own children before. AFAIK the risk is increased if using a 2nd hand mattress from someone else. Moses basket mattresses are fairly cheap

ilovepowerhoop Tue 25-Feb-14 15:38:55

this is from the Scottish Cot Death Trust:

Two research studies carried out by the Scottish Cot Death Trust have shown an increased risk of cot death for babies sleeping on a mattress previously used by another baby. The risk was very small if the other baby was an older brother or sister in the same family but higher if the mattress was second-hand from another home. More research is continuing on this subject, but in the meantime you may choose to avoid any potential risk by buying a new mattress. Otherwise, make sure the mattress is very clean, dry and in good condition. It’s best to choose one which is totally covered with plastic which can be easily be washed down.

thecakeisalie Tue 25-Feb-14 16:17:04

We've always replaced the moses basket mattress even when using it for ds2 who was born just 18 months after ds1. They are so cheap to replace and they aren't really sure what it is about a used mattress that increases the risk of SIDS so I always thought it wasn't worth the risk.

EssexGirlLottie Tue 25-Feb-14 17:20:47

I think for the cost I would just do it...

But, i'd love to know the details of those studies. I work in research and i'm struggling to think of what the actual scientific reason would be for any increase in cot death.

SweetPeaPods Tue 25-Feb-14 19:25:06

You can pick up a new mattress for less than 30 quid, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Stevie77 Tue 25-Feb-14 20:23:33

It's not the money and obviously if it's been damaged while stored then it'll be replaced, I just haven't been able to find any official recommendation about this and was wondering how much if that was based on internet forum chatter/rumours. If anyone's got a link they want to share, I'd be happy to see it!

HelenHen Tue 25-Feb-14 20:34:40

I wouldn't use a mattress for myself that had been stored in an attic. Never mind for a precious newborn baby! I've no problem with second hand everything else but sleeping stuff all must be new for me!

ilovepowerhoop Tue 25-Feb-14 20:44:44

the official recommendation from the lullaby trust website (which used to be called the SIDs website) is to use a new one for each child.

www.lullabytrust.org.uk/file/-----internal-documents/Fact-Sheet-Mattresses-bedding-and-cots.pdf

ilovepowerhoop Tue 25-Feb-14 20:46:12

plus I also gave you the info from the Scottish Cot Death Trust which isnt internet chat/rumour.

The leaflet I linked to above says:

Generally we would advise it is safest to have a new mattress for each baby, though we know this is not always
possible. There is some evidence to suggest that bringing in a mattress from another home might increase the risk
of sudden infant death very slightly. When using your own mattress for a second (or more) time, ensure it is still
firm and flat with no tears or holes, and is not sagging in places. Thoroughly clean the waterproof layer and ensure
the mattress is clean and dry before making it up with fresh bed clothes

Stevie77 Tue 25-Feb-14 20:54:54

Thanks Ilovepowerhoop

RandomInternetStranger Tue 25-Feb-14 22:20:41

Definitely get a new one and personally I love the curved ones - DD seemed to settle so much better on a curved one and I ended up transferring it between moses basket and pram every day!

Rockchick1984 Tue 25-Feb-14 22:54:55

I've got a new one that was about £5 from asda - I don't see why it's worth taking the risk even if its only slight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now