Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose tolerance testing!

(10 Posts)
Hellymummy Mon 24-Feb-14 22:45:27

I have my 2 hour appt at hosp nest week for the glucose testing and I am kakking it big time!! I am working myself up into a panic! I'm scared to death of fainting, feeling dizzy, going funny!!!!!!!!!!!

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Mon 24-Feb-14 23:55:16

I was worried about mine but honestly it's fine - I didn't feel sick or dizzy at all. I'm guessing you'll be at the hospital during the 2 hours, so if you do come over feeling funny, just mention it to one of the nurses/HCPs/receptionists, and they'll make sure you're ok.

Obviously it's not a 'nice' test, but the biggest issue I had was that the 2 hour wait was mind-numbingly boring - and I'm anaemic so I would've thought I'd have had a reaction to bloods being taken.

The more you panic, the worse you'll feel - just relax and know that it's for the best smile It really is nowhere near as bad as you think.

MummyPig24 Tue 25-Feb-14 06:33:06

I thought I would feel really dizzy and starving but I didn't at all. My first test was at 9am and my last one at 11am then I could go home and eat. Actually we went to mcdonalds on the way home!

You will be fine, it's just a bit boring having to wait so long.

BetterWithCheese Tue 25-Feb-14 06:49:37

Mummypig - I was same tests at 9 and 11 and met DH for Burger King afterwards. I only live about 5 minutes from the hospital and they lt me go home in between which was nice.

rachyconks Tue 25-Feb-14 06:55:18

I felt fine. A bit giddy because of all the sugar, but otherwise ok. Take someone with you or a book or iPad or something. It's a long two hours otherwise. Good luck

Lilimum2be Tue 25-Feb-14 07:21:45

Had mine a couple weeks ago, the drink did not taste horrible and despite being pricked all over with needles (I have invisible veins) it wasn't bad at all. The only things I can suggest is make sure you drink lots of water to keep urself hydrated and take a book or someone with you for entertainment....the wait is very long! You will be fine, try not to worry and please report back to us afterwards xXx

MummyPig24 Tue 25-Feb-14 07:35:08

That was ok then better!

We are an hour away from the hospital and I had to have blood taken at 9,10 and 11.

The drink was just original lucozade so it wasn't bad. Just rather a lot if it.

firsttimemummy2109 Fri 28-Feb-14 09:06:48

I had mine at the end of Jan and I was really worried. I worried for nothing, I was tested at 9 & 11, the worst bit was waiting, it was so boring!! Take some mags or a book, the mags at our hospital were 12 months old! The drink itself wasn't unpleasant but I wouldn't order it in a bar either!

Good luck and don't worry xx

SweetPea86 Fri 28-Feb-14 11:47:29

Same here Hun, I had mine over a week ago was so scared about it, and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Even the sitting for two hours flew by. Take mags or iPod to pass the time away.

Tell them your fears of fainting and they will let you lay down while they take your blood. They did for me. smile

I haven't heard any thing back yet so I'm hoping no news is good news. Good luck Hun you will be fine.

dats Fri 28-Feb-14 12:21:01

Had mine yesterday, it was nothing to worry about at all. Panicked about fasting (what did I think was going to happen??) but that was fine, was a bit worried about not being able to take Gaviscon & Tums but water seemed to stave off the indigestion ok.

Bloods went fine, drink didn't taste anywhere near as bad as I expected and I felt perfectly normal in my 2hr wait. I'm anaemic and have low blood-pressure and didn't feel in the slightest bit faint.

Wait got a bit tedious at times when waiting room filled up with people who seemed to insist on bringing their whole family to their appt, but aside from that I took my knitting and it was fine.

Don't panic! Even if you did pass out, you'll be in the best place!

I'm far more worried about not being allowed cake if I get a positive result. Crossing everything that the phone doesn't ring today!

Good luck!
dats 32+3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now