Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else just want to keep the pregnancy news to themselves?

(12 Posts)
MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 24-Feb-14 13:29:07

I really dont know why but im just not feeling an urge to tell anyone yet. Ive known about ten days, and with DD I just wanted to rush around telling everyone and this time I keep reminding myself that Ill have to at least notofy the doc.

I just am not interested in the whole "eeek im pregnant" excitement like last time (even though this is a planned pregnancy). What the heck is wrong with me?

Namethischildplease Mon 24-Feb-14 13:34:17

You don't even need to tell the doctor for a while...

I felt the same with no. 2 and no3. In fact, this time we still hadn't told most people at 20 weeks.

rockin20s Mon 24-Feb-14 13:36:07

i do have the 'eek im pregnant' feeling but don't want to tell family. have told 3 friends that im really close too but no one else!

DH has only told one person and he says he feels the same as me.

we are really liking out little secret! we have our scan in 2 weeks and will tell people then but to be honest im not looking forward to our family's excitement. its the first grandchild on both sides and my sis and DH sister dont look like they will be having children for years. so i think there is going to be way to much excitement

not looking forward to all the questions
my shopaholic MIL
i really like my privacy (even more so now) and i think people ask way to many question and expect answers!!

eurochick Mon 24-Feb-14 13:38:47

I'm having to force myself to tell people as it is becoming obvious. Some friends who supported us through fertility treatment knew straightaway. We waited until after 12 weeks to tell everyone else. I told work today and was told that everyone had already guessed! I'm relatively slim and put any weight straight onto my belly, so I had a mini bump (mostly bloat) from about 6 weeks, so I am not suprised.

sleepyhead Mon 24-Feb-14 13:43:06

With ds2 I told immediate family and very closest friends at 12 weeks. Before that no-one knew.

I told my work at around 18 weeks and after that it was obvious to people that met me, but I didnt exactly go through my address book letting people know.

I sent out a text when ds2 was born and there were a lot of people who replied "eh? since when were you pg?". Same when I posted a pic of ds2 on Facebook. I think that says more about me being piss poor at keeping in touch with people though.

But yes, at your stage I had no desire to tell anyone. Tbh, if it wouldn't have been horribly unfair not to have told dh when we'd been trying for so long I'd have kept it just to me for a few weeks - I was very scared of miscarriage and just wanted to curl up and hide away until everything felt safer.

I didn't go to the GP until almost 8 weeks..

eurochick Mon 24-Feb-14 13:59:32

I didn't see the GP until 8 weeks either. I've mc'd before and didn't want to be in the system if I was going to mc again (although there are no guarantees by 8 weeks, I had a couple of early scans at the EPU by then).

ChicaMomma Mon 24-Feb-14 14:12:27

I can completely imagine feeling like that on my second, was only thinking of that the other day- that i'd probably wait until about week 18 or something. Just to make the pregnancy feel shorter! most of my friends and family know since week 9 and i feel like it's made the pregnancy very long.....

keep it quiet as long as you wish ! it's your news!!

CrispyFB Mon 24-Feb-14 14:54:47

With DC2, I didn't tell work until I was 17 weeks.. and then only my boss. Like you I just didn't feel the urge to shout it from the rooftops.

A week later I was in hospital having an emergency stitch placed and was put on bedrest for the duration of my pregnancy!

My colleagues, who hadn't even been told I was pregnant, were somewhat surprised wink especially when I ended up taking voluntary redundancy whilst on maternity leave!

One minute I was in the office as normal.. then I was never to be seen again!

With DC3 I actually didn't tell anyone except for family and very very close friends (and even then it was post 20 weeks) due to potential complications. The first most people heard was when I posted newborn photos to FB. This annoyed a few people but if they hadn't seen me or even asked after me in 9 months they're hardly close friends.

This is DC4 and I started going public around 22 weeks (stopping hiding my bump, basically) as no complications this time out.

MummytoMog Mon 24-Feb-14 16:41:31

I don't really want to tell anyone. DH is telling the world, and I'm only nine weeks. Urgh. Not a planned pregnancy. I still feel a bit ambivalent about it. And I'm always a miserable cow in the first trimester anyway. Wish 'D'H would stop telling everyone about it.

hazeldawn Mon 24-Feb-14 16:41:41

This is dc3 12wk scan tomorrow so will just not bother hiding the growing waist from then on I guess. We've told immediate family &2 close friends one of whom kindly took ds to school on a couple of mornings when I was struggling.

MummyPig24 Mon 24-Feb-14 16:54:18

I liked keeping it to ourselves this time (3rd baby) and I didn't really want to tell anyone. But we did tell people after the first scan. I liked it being just between us.

MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 24-Feb-14 21:43:00

euro how do I go about arranging an early scan at the EPAU? I had a MMC last time (stopped at eight wks, delivered at eleven and a half), and an early scan may reassure me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now