Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Expressing? Possible TMI

(9 Posts)
shadack Mon 24-Feb-14 12:28:27

Right then I've had conflicting information on this so would appreciate any help you have to offer

I'm 34 almost 35 weeks, baby dropped ages ago and get loads of BH day in day out and quite frankly I've sprung a few leaks geysers

Should i/Can i express this using a hand pump to save the discomfort or do i just put up with it use the breast pads and do loads of laundry

Have been told that expressing can cause premature labor, is this likely to happen? or is it more likely that baby will come when she wants regardless

If i express i will probably freeze it just in case its needed for any reason
x

Writerwannabe83 Mon 24-Feb-14 12:38:05

Have you thought about purchasing some of those silicone cup-type things (sorry, I can't remember the official name) that can fit into your bra to catch any milk leakages? I had my Breast Feeding antenatal session a few weeks ago where they were talked about, and the idea is basically to capture the milk and freeze it as opposed to it going to waste.

At least that way you aren't pumping and so theres no risk of triggering labour...

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 24-Feb-14 12:39:30

Not sure about that one, have you called one of the Bfing Helplines? The BFC might have some good tips smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 24-Feb-14 12:40:24

Writer think they are called breast shells smile

redcaryellowcar Mon 24-Feb-14 12:47:50

i too think they are called breast shells, you can buy in larger boots stores, i used them as leaked from other side when feeding ds. i have read expressing esp using a pump can be a bit vigorous and encourage early labour, but think hand expressing ok, tbh though, unless you really need to you will probably only make the problem worse, e.g there will be more milk leaking than before!! probably best to catch the excess using breast pads/ shells etc and be glad that when baby comes it will be far from hungry!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 24-Feb-14 12:49:46

If you are expressing/catching your BM, think about getting some storage bags and freezing you milk smile

shadack Mon 24-Feb-14 14:13:01

Thanks Ladies i defiantly don't want to waste it so will be freezing
So sounds like i should avoid he pump, would hand expressing do the same thing or be safer?
Not able to get to town till the end of the week though so no storage bags etc to hand
do you think an ice cube tray would work for now? would pop it through the sterilizer just to be safe
Have looked at the breast shells they seem like a good idea so will try them but nowear near me has them in stock sad so will be several days waiting for a delivery

Sorry for all the questions first time iv done this smile

thecakeisalie Mon 24-Feb-14 14:16:13

Nipple stimulation can bring on labour but as far as I'm aware you'd have to be stimulating them for 1-2hrs a day to even start encouraging labour. Personally I'd still hold off trying to express as it will only encourage you to leak more and your going to be producing colostrum at first so there's a limit to how much of this you'd want stored in the freezer as your actual milk should come in around 3-5days after the birth. I'd just pop a couple of breast pads in. I've read bad reviews about those breast shells with people saying they aren't as useful as they first seem.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 24-Feb-14 14:31:11

The helpline numbers are here. Don't forget, you can go to the Bfing Support Groups before Lo arrives, you don't have to wait until after the birth smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now