Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I can't breathe after I eat!

(8 Posts)
NurseSapphire Sun 23-Feb-14 21:48:33

I'm 18 weeks and get an awful feeling of not being able to get my breath after eating or drinking anything at all. It's particularly worse in the evenings. It's my first baby and at this stage I'm obviously not that big, but it's such a horrid feeling.

Midwife said this is normal. Just wondered if anyone has any tips?

mixi82 Sun 23-Feb-14 22:28:36

I'm 20wks and around that time I felt the same. You get much bigger in the evenings naturally so I tried not to eat heavy or too much for tea time or in the evenings. Everything gets pushed up so you will get a little breathless. Not the same for everyone though

Hellymummy Mon 24-Feb-14 07:36:43

Yep I get that! It's awful, feel like I'm being suffocated!! I've not found the answer yet!

greentshirt Mon 24-Feb-14 07:52:47

The key is to eat very little and very often of the right things. Which is a shame as that's obvs completely impossible as a ravenous pregnant woman! It also doesn't help that sometimes it's ok so you never know if you can fill your face properly or not!

Emilycee Mon 24-Feb-14 08:22:26

Yes I have this too - its horrible!

I find that by getting on all fours and.doing 'cat' stretches it helps create a bit of space in my insides... that and leaning on my ball and rocking gently from side to side.

Im 34 weeks and waiting hopefully for baby to drop! Might be waiting a while though :-(

Emilycee Mon 24-Feb-14 08:24:45

Meant to add also its always hours after I have eaten too - almost like I have eaten expanding foam! So I now eat a larger lunch and just something small at dinner or I suffer later on

NurseSapphire Mon 24-Feb-14 22:31:32

Thanks for replies, ladies. Glad I'm not alone. It really is a suffocating feeling. Also I completely know what you mean by that foam expanding feeling! I even have to sometimes undo my bra because psychologically it helps me to breathe easier. hmm

HeavenK76 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:56:41

ohh gosh, I actually started this topic a few days ago but didn't get any replies unfortunately.
I'm feeling exactly the same thing, I'm 17 weeks now and feel absolutely horribly after eating, my tummy feels like it's gonna explode and I can't breathe, I also need to undo my bra, it's soo tightening around my ribcage.
I also feel the same thing at night tho which makes it very hard to fall asleep.
Peppermint tea does help a little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now