Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BH or baby's head engaging?

(9 Posts)
CristaBell Sun 23-Feb-14 18:42:28

I'm 36 weeks with my first baby, last night and a few times today I've been experiencing period type pains in the very lower part of my stomach and back. It's not a constant pain it lasts probably less then a minute and comes back. Could this be the baby's head engaging or Braxton Hicks?

Thank you.

TheOnlySeven Mon 24-Feb-14 10:14:44

Sounds like BH. Once the head is engaged it feels like there's a bowling ball between your legs!

K8eee Mon 24-Feb-14 13:05:50

I had a bit of a scare Friday, and the pain I had was constant and only was relieved if I sat down. Laying down and standing made it worse. I took myElf to hospital, and it's the baby's head engaged. Sounds like you had BH if they're on and off

onceipopicantstop Mon 24-Feb-14 21:01:17

I've had these for several weeks, have been hoping it's a sign of things starting (am 38+5) but sadly not. So think they are just a form of bh - quite uncomfortable though! Saw mw today and not engaged - although is dc2 and I gather they often don't engage until labour starts.

CristaBell Mon 24-Feb-14 22:56:14

Thank you for your replies. I've been wondering what BH may feel like so at least I have some idea now. I don't think baby's head can be engaged as I don't feel a bowling ball down there yet.

I haven't had any pains today.

x0gawjus0x Tue 25-Feb-14 06:38:12

Probs bh, my baby's head has been engaged since 37 weeks and I don't feel anything down there intact I'm very comfortable, first preg aswell don't think it always feels like a bowling ball mine definitely doesn't and she's as far as she's gonna get before birth! Xx

BetterWithCheese Tue 25-Feb-14 06:45:37

Yes both of mine have been engaged from 36 weeks and no bowling ball feeling here either time. I never felt any BH in first pregnancy but had loads in second. For me they were painless tightenings of the whole bump. I had period type pains at the end with both and this seemed to be related to baby's head engaging.

CristaBell Tue 25-Feb-14 16:43:02

Thank you, I got MW tomorrow so I will mention the pains to her smile x

crazykat Tue 25-Feb-14 18:27:58

I'd say BH. I didn't get the bowling ball feeling when my DCs engaged but I found it hard to sit up straight and couldn't lean forward as it felt uncomfortable but not painful.

I had quite bad BH with dc3 from 30 weeks which came and went. When she engaged at 33 weeks I had to lean back a bit when sitting down as I could feel pressure (a bit like having a full bladder) whenever I sat upright or forward and it would last until I reclined a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now