Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The farm - can I go?

(7 Posts)
Tea1Sugar Sun 23-Feb-14 17:07:01

Dd has been invited to a party next weekend at the farm and parents have been asked to stay. I'll be 32+4. Everything I've read is conflicting.

SaucyJack Sun 23-Feb-14 17:08:00

If you do, stay away from the sheep

capsium Sun 23-Feb-14 17:10:25

Well the farmers manage to have children...

I think it will be OK as long as you wash your hands before eating. Not planning to do any lambing are you?

PastaandCheese Sun 23-Feb-14 17:27:30

I'd say no if there are ewes there and I'm not cautious at all with these pregnancy dos and don'ts.

Lambing starts next weekend. The agricultural college by me always has massive posters advising pregnant women, particularly those pre 20 weeks, to avoid the paths by the ewe sheds when walking in grounds and not to attend the lambing events.

Julietee Sun 23-Feb-14 18:41:13

To all those saying avoid ewes - what's the problem there?

Monkeybrain10 Sun 23-Feb-14 18:56:25

Here are the latest guidelines... https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pregnant-women-advised-to-avoid-animals-that-are-giving-birth
Basically u just need to avoid close contact with farm animals (particularly sheep) giving birth...they can carry an infection which can cause miscarriage. Sounds scary and obviously u won't want to take any risks but u just need to be aware and be sensible about it...ie. Don't get involved or spectate if there's any lambing happening. But to put it in context, there are plenty of farmers'wives and female vets out there who spend most of their lives on farms.

Monkeybrain10 Sun 23-Feb-14 18:56:56

Here are the latest guidelines... https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pregnant-women-advised-to-avoid-animals-that-are-giving-birth
Basically u just need to avoid close contact with farm animals (particularly sheep) giving birth...they can carry an infection which can cause miscarriage. Sounds scary and obviously u won't want to take any risks but u just need to be aware and be sensible about it...ie. Don't get involved or spectate if there's any lambing happening. But to put it in context, there are plenty of farmers'wives and female vets out there who spend most of their lives on farms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now