Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dull constant pain left side when sitting/bending. Possible ectopic?

(13 Posts)
bronya Sun 23-Feb-14 16:43:09

Am worrying myself! My implantation pain was a spreading sharp pain on the lower left of my abdomen. Since then there's been the odd twinge, nearly always on that side. Today a dull ache has started, that's constant when I'm sitting or bending. It goes away when walking/standing. I'm 5 weeks. No bleeding or anything else. Thinking of ringing the GP in the morning - is it a Dr or midwife do I see?

Daytona79 Sun 23-Feb-14 16:46:23

I had the same but it was right side , doctor sent me to A&E just incase it was ectopic. They did a internal scan and baby was find and the pain was being caused by cyst on my right ovary. They told me it's normal and nothing to worry about.

So don't panic but I'd say for your own peace of mind get it checked out.

bronya Sun 23-Feb-14 19:23:25

Been constant all day. sad babies are so complicated!

MoominIsWaitingToMeetHerMiniMe Sun 23-Feb-14 20:53:34

I had this and it was muscles; I do have an existing problem with abdo muscles but I think some muscle pain is quite normal. I didn't find out until I was 7 weeks pg so didn't pay much attention to any pain before then, but I'm fairly sure I had it at around 5 weeks.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 23-Feb-14 21:15:08

Its better to be safe than sorry. If you have an ectopic pregnancy, the earlier it is detected the less damage you may end up with.
Ring . EPAU in the morning. First thing.

bronya Mon 24-Feb-14 08:11:01

Our EPAU doesn't do self-referral. Have phoned GP - they will phone me back!

lucyfluff Mon 24-Feb-14 12:59:35

Def get the epu to scan to be on the safe side Im sure its nothing to worry about though smile

I had left sided pain and scan was clear, but they said it was possible to be muscular pain. Its eased off now and did by 12 weeks.

Good luck.

bronya Mon 24-Feb-14 13:22:17

Got appt for a scan next week smile. Hoping it's nothing but will be good to know!

Davmallem2013 Mon 24-Feb-14 14:02:27

I had ruptured ectopic at 6+5wk, GP misdiagnosed as MC. It started as pains across shooting up from my bum to my uterus with some brown spotting, within 24 hrs I had sweats, a bout of diahorrea and then felt faint having to lay on cold floor. I couldn't straighten my left leg & I will described it as if someone had stuck a thick metal rod from my front left groin area through to the other side out near my bum, it was excruciating & constant, the bleeding stayed as darkish brown light flow (it was old blood). I had emergency surgery on my left tube. From 5 wks you can have vaginal scan to rule out, but the nearer to the 6wk mark the better as they may not be able to see it clearly otherwise. If it helps I had felt perfectly fine up to 48hrs before it all happened so the fact you have pains now may not be a bad thing.

22honey Mon 24-Feb-14 14:51:59

Hi there, I don't want to worry you but that sounds a bit like when I had my ectopic, discovered at around 5-6 weeks. It was killing so when I stood up I had to stand a certain way, and it was far more painful sat down or bending over, probably because the ectopic was putting pressure on certain parts of my anatomy. Luckily I didn't rupture or lose my tube.

It was the worst pain I'd ever had in my life however I got pregnant again about 5 months later and had an achy pain that came and went in the same place I had the ectopic. I was convinced it was another ectopic but it wasnt. It still mildly hurts there occasionally now and I've no idea why but it was happening often during the first trimester and has eased off now I'm into my 2nd. So it could be an ectopic or it could not, when I went to my first midwife appt I was about 7-8 weeks and she said that it wouldn't have been an ectopic as it would have ruptured by that point.

Hope everything goes well for you, I know how worrying it is! xxx

22honey Mon 24-Feb-14 14:55:56

I have to say though my ectopic pain was so bad I had no choice but to go to A & E as soon as it came on, I was also spotting red and brown blood so it was pretty obvious something was not right.

The second time which wasn't an ectopic the pain was very fleeting and bearable and I was not bleeding or anything else. So I imagine if the pain isn't absoloutely excruciating where you have no choice other than to get an emergency doctors appt/go to A & E then its less likely in my experience to be ectopic.

bronya Mon 24-Feb-14 19:27:10

My scan's next week because they need me to be 6 weeks and a bit to see anything properly (I'm 6 weeks this Fri). She said A&E if it got bad. It's eased now so maybe was something else. Time will tell!

rubyinthedust Mon 24-Feb-14 20:24:59

I had an ectopic too. I don't remember feeling pain like you are describing but everyone's different. My first symptoms were heavy spotting followed by bleeding - I thought I was on my period! 3 days after the bleeding started I had a horrible pain in my side, I agree with the "thick metal rod" description...

I have since become pregnant again and just had a scan at 5+3. Admittedly I didn't see much but the scan did show where the pregnancy was located - the gestational sac and yolk were very clear (and thankfully in my uterus!). If you are worried, you could try phoning up again and seeing if there's any way the scan could be brought forward. Definitely do so if you get any bleeding! Hope everything goes well xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now