Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Measuring big... Growth scan

(7 Posts)
GillyBillyWilly Sun 23-Feb-14 12:35:43

Hi all

I had a midwife appointment on Wednesday (25+2) where the midwife measured me for the first time.

She said normal measurements would be 23-27cm. Average being 25cm.

I'm measuring 30cm blush

My urine and blood pressure was fine and the heartbeat was fine as well.

She referred me for a growth scan.

I called the hospital on Friday to check the date and time of my anti D injection and the lady looked on my file and said "oh we need to book you in for a growth scan I see... Ok.. Let's do that on monday!"

So my growth scan is tomorrow at 26 weeks.

I'm trying to stay chilled and calm about it but I'm feeling really anxious.

Are growth scans common? Is there anything I should be worried about? sad

I feel like I've just had a serious growth spurt in the last few weeks because suddenly I LOOK pregnant and looks like a real bump rather than just looking a bit fatter!

I just feel anxious sad

duvetfan Sun 23-Feb-14 12:40:06

I measured spot on but was sent for a placenta scan at 36 weeks. It showed a big baby with a month to go. Estimated at over 10lbs. My DS arrived and was 7lbs 2oz. In short they are common but not always accurate. I know lots of people who have had them, some accurate other less so. Don't fret about it, it will all be fine.
Good luck.

GillyBillyWilly Sun 23-Feb-14 12:43:47

Thanks......
I'm a professional worrier grin

Midwife annoyed me because she had such a blank face for the whole appointment.. Was like she was in a mood so it made me edgy! Then she was like "oh you're measuring big. I will refer you for a growth scan hmm"

Meh.

livingzuid Sun 23-Feb-14 12:59:16

I have to have a growth scan at 30 weeks. I'm currently 25. I'm with you on it being a bit unnerving but I'm a high risk pregnancy so get scanned quite regularly. At 20 weeks I was measuring in the 70th percentile for baby size but I don't think it's an exact science from what I've read.

At least we get to see our babies again before the birth smile

Pinkbell123 Sun 23-Feb-14 13:03:49

I had growth scans which estimated a ten pounder. Baby was born this week at 9lb so not too far off. I also had a big placenta which added to it. Don't worry.

Rosduk Sun 23-Feb-14 14:05:23

I am 27 weeks but the baby is measuring around 30 weeks. They have told me even though it seems big he is still considered to be in the 'normal' range and not to worry.

I have regular scans due to a previous loss so they told me it could just be a growth spurt and he could even out.

LastOneDancing Sun 23-Feb-14 14:46:48

I had a growth scan at 32 weeks - my size is due to a lot of fluid (plus a heffer of a baby).

I have had to have a blood test to ensure there wasn't an infection and will be having another scan in a few weeks. Fingers crossed it will all right itself in between.

I know it's horrible, but please try not to panic, as others have already said, most of the time it's absolutely fine and it's an extra change to see your baby! My growth scan was very clinical though - no pictures or looking at little hands and feet this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now