Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Convertible 2 door car plus newborn??

(14 Posts)
RandomInternetStranger Sun 23-Feb-14 11:37:13

Is it doable??

Looking at my 2 door convertible I can't really see how I'm going to do this without taking the roof off every time I need to get the seat in & out or the toddler when he/she is older. confused

Rockchick1984 Sun 23-Feb-14 11:39:35

Check what car seats are compatible, and if possible get a isofix base so that you can perch car seat in the front while strapping baby in, and just click car seat onto base. It's a million times harder with a toddler than a newborn!

LackaDAISYcal Sun 23-Feb-14 11:46:01

Get a sensible car, and keep your two door convertible for fun!

teacher123 Sun 23-Feb-14 13:20:21

What make/model is it? I had a Peugeot 307cc, so it had two proper sized seats in the back and a massive boot (as long as the roof wasn't down!) and I kept it till I was 37 weeks pregnant and then wimped out and sold it for something sensible. Tbh it was more to do with running costs (2 litre petrol engine, just cost me a fortune) than anything else.

Only1scoop Sun 23-Feb-14 13:24:33

I hated having a two door....lifting in and out was a pain....also boot was to small for buggy. Wanted to keep my sporty number but it had to go

RandomInternetStranger Sun 23-Feb-14 17:27:19

Had a drive past a few dealerships today and sat in a few estates and SUVs & people carriers and the space is lovely!! But then I spoke to my Mum who said they want to get rid of their people carrier and would like a convertible so we are thinking about doing a straight swap now. But the SUV I sat in was pretty!

(Currently have a 2L Ford Focus CC)

Noodledoodledoo Sun 23-Feb-14 21:20:26

I have a Focus cc and have quite easily had my neice (3) and nephew (6) in it frequently and have done for about 2 years. They love it and I have easily fitted in a weekends stuff and large walking buggy in the boot when I went away with some friends and a little one. I obviously don't have day in day out experience of managing but I can't see it me planning on changing it when a bubba comes along!

Foxeym Sun 23-Feb-14 21:48:53

I have a 2 door car and it is a complete pain in the butt getting the car seat in and out in a normal parking space because the doors have to opened so wide it's impossible sometimes

RandomInternetStranger Mon 24-Feb-14 00:54:33

I think one of my main worries is the new car seat laws about them being rear facing till 15 months (DD would have screamed blue bloody murder with that, especially the 4+ hour trips to visit family up north and I don't really understand the logic of it if I'm honest) but if that is enforced before this one is over 15 months there's no way I'll get one of those big rear facing seats in. The front passenger seat will be totally useless with how far forward it would have to be. DD will be nearly 10 by then and won't fit behind the driver seat as I can't move it forward and if there's still a rear facer in the back she won't even fit in the front unless her face is right on the dash. Nah I can't see it working. It's going to have to be a new car. grin

OddFodd Mon 24-Feb-14 06:00:42

I don't know where you got that idea Random - it's rear facing up to 13kg; age doesn't come into it. smile Having said that, I really struggled with the babyseat in my convertible so swapped it for something more sensible

lucy101 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:17:36

We swapped ours for a small estate a week before the birth... and thank goodness, we wouldn't have been been able to have the rear facing seat we wanted amongst loads of other things (although I still miss it)!

RandomInternetStranger Mon 24-Feb-14 08:55:28

OddFod it wouldn't be unusual for me to have it wrong seeing as pregnancy brain has turned me into a complete moron lately! Lol! And to be honest I have no idea about kgs vs lbs or whatever but when I was in mothercare the other day I was talking to the lady for ages about DD moving up a seat when she was about 8 months & her telling me the law has now changed & is being phased in over the next couple of years where they stay rear facing in these huge seats far longer now and there's no way I'll get one of those seats in my back seat. I only have literally about 4" between the back seat and the front when the front seat is in a normal position for a passenger. confused

Cannotbelieveit Mon 24-Feb-14 10:31:26

The laws are changing re: rear facing til 15 months but gradually over the next 5 years I believe

Damnautocorrect Mon 24-Feb-14 10:39:45

Yes dooable, I picked and chose when the roof was down. E.g too hot, not on the motorway. Always made sure he had a hat on.
I also found I never took my son out in his baby seat, I always took him out but not the seat. The baby stage is so short if you love your car keep it, it's totally dooable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now