Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy headaches

(8 Posts)
AmelieRose Sun 23-Feb-14 10:25:57

I'm 23+3 with my first baby and have been experiencing a lot of headaches over the past few weeks. Work is quite stressful at the moment and I do get headaches when I'm not pregnant, so I had been putting it down to that.

However I was off work on holiday last week and had a horrendous one that lasted all day and didn't go away with a nap and paracetamol. Same thing yesterday, and I've woken up with one this morning.

I was at a midwife appt last week and my blood pressure and urine were both fine, and I haven't noticed any other pre-eclampsia symptoms. Wondering whether I should go to the doctor's, or wait it out a bit. Anyone have any experience of this?

Mogz Sun 23-Feb-14 11:00:28

Don't wait it out, get checked ASAP just in case it is something that needs treating, and if it isn't you'll know sooner and will be able to relax.

AmelieRose Sun 23-Feb-14 11:06:49

My DH has just said the same thing Mogz - think I'll phone the doctor tomorrow for an appointment.

Rockchick1984 Sun 23-Feb-14 17:23:56

Are you drinking enough water? It's much easier to get dehydrated while pregnant (2 litres a day is the bare minimum you need) and it can cause awful headaches if you're not having enough.

Monkeybrain10 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:03:21

Sensible to ask the Dr of course but have u tried 4head ? It's a kind of menthol rub u put directly on your head...it seems to cool down the area (so i guess constructs the blood vessels) which often really helps me shift those awful throbbing/pounding headache headaches which painkillers don't touch. Hope that helps.

Ratfinkle Sun 23-Feb-14 19:35:49

I had hormonal headaches around the 20 week mark. Really horrible nagging headaches that nothing could shift. I did a search on here and found others experienced the same. Maybe something to do with that stage of pregnancy?

But if you are worried go to the doctor, they may not do anything but can put your mind at ease if nothing to worry about.

mixi82 Sun 23-Feb-14 22:32:32

I second 4head!! I've always had headaches but obviously more so during pregnancy because of hormones. No matter how much water I took in, sometimes they just wouldn't go away. I tried taking paracetamol which works a little but not enough to stop thudding! 4head is amazing though and I take it everywhere I go now, more or less gives me instant relief. Doesn't last for very long though but it's great for slapping on before bed and then at least you can drift off comfortably

AmelieRose Mon 24-Feb-14 19:17:10

Thanks for all the replies ladies. Have got some 4head on the way home tonight - it's marvellous!

Have been to mat assessment as they were concerned about me seeing spots/flickers. Been thoroughly checked over and all seems ok, but they want me to get my eyes checked out tomorrow. Seems like it's hormonal headaches or pregnancy migraines.

The doctor told me to keep an eye on swelling - told DH and he said it would be hard to tell the difference the cheeky bugger! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now