Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much stuff do I need?

(9 Posts)
TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 22-Feb-14 21:20:07

I don't need to buy anything for a while yet, but have been looking at the newborn essentials list. Wondering how many baby gros and muslins etc I'd need? I appreciate it'll depend on how often you wash things, but how many do you get through in a week?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 22-Feb-14 21:20:41

And nappies? If you go for reusable, what do you need?

Thatsnotmyfigure Sat 22-Feb-14 23:05:31

I don't know about a week, more like a day! I think I had 12 Muslins. I bought them on eBay as much cheaper. You probably need 6 babygros minimum as easiest to use night and day. Make sure they open right down the front. Mothercare and some others do them with integral scratch mitts. Plenty of vests too.
As well as having some washed and ready this time I will have 'Early Baby' size to hand but still in packet with receipt taped to it in case we need.
Reusable nappies- we used after 3 months. Many one size fits all are very big for a newborn. The Nappy Lady is a great source of advice. We have 15 daytime and 4 more absorbent for night and wash every other day. Hope this helps!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 23-Feb-14 08:36:04

Thanks ThatsNotMyFigure! It helps to get some idea.

Artandco Sun 23-Feb-14 08:44:56

We only put babygrows on as babies.brought:

Newborn - 5
0-3 months -10

Worked fine. Figured newborn wouldn't last long anyway, and if needed could just put them in a 0-3 month. Ours wore 1-2 a day, if not dirty I generally just changed them in the morning and wore same to bed, then changed in morning after a wash/ bath. Newborn only lasted 3 weeks anyway.

Had 4 cardigans age 0-3 months,,just rolled up sleeves first few wears. 4 hats and 4 booties to go over babygrows ( to match cardigans smile )

Had 30 all in one/ one size fits all reusable nappies. They said from 8-10lbs, and we started around 6 weeks once fitted/ no newborn poo/ we had adapted to baby etc. we used disposable first 6 weeks and prob 10 nappies a day. Once in reusable we washed nappies every other day ( ie up to 20 in wash, 10 left to wear). But use went down quickly to 5-6 a day, still washed every other day so no smells. We had bamboo ones so super absorbent, but take a day to dry on rack

Artandco Sun 23-Feb-14 08:46:14

Oh and the nappies lasted x2 children, approx 2 years each, and we sold for 80% of what we paid for them!

Hellymummy Sun 23-Feb-14 09:36:48

I've bought way toooooooo much I know but can't help it! It's hard knowing what size to buy when you haven't a clue size of Babba! The main things I have is vests, baby grows and all in one romper type suits for day. Main size I bought is 0-3 months. I have a few newborn things but not many and a few 3-6 months! Nappy wise I have 3 packs of size 1 and 3 packs of size 2 and that's all I've got for now.
In experience from my first Babba, I got tons of stuff bought once baby was born so never short of anything!

Artandco Sun 23-Feb-14 10:55:54

Oh and I recommend not buying babygrows without feet. Socks are a pain to keep on and just add more expense. Also mean shabby gets cold legs if they ride up when you carry

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 23-Feb-14 15:40:21

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now